Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr has become the dominant background check provider for the on-demand economy, and is continuing to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. Providing modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups has taught us first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make a huge impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for Backend Engineers to help build out the logic for our background check engine.
This team is part of the core data products and services which is responsible for interfacing with external vendors, internal data sets, customer dashboards, and internal tools to help applicants move through the process quickly and help customers deeply understand their applicants as well.
We are seeking someone who has a strong technical background and is passionate about driving new features from inception through release. This involves building high-quality features for our customer dashboard and designing plus implementing APIs that focus on flexibility, performance and reliability.
Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn, and love their work.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Collaborating with peers to brainstorm ideas to improve report accuracy and reliability - this involves white-boarding, sending out RFCs, and running architecture spike sessions with the team.
- Building new features on the core background check product and testing them.
- Contributing to internal tooling to help improve our workflows and increase efficiency.
- Helping identify, triage, and solve bugs.
- Demoing your work to your team during weekly sprint retrospectives.
What we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of full stack software engineering and/or work related industry experience
- Curiosity, and interest in diving into challenging technical problems.
- Ability to deliver clean, robust, scalable, and well tested code.
- Ability to build out reliable distributed systems after evaluating and discussing tradeoffs.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to collaborate well with other Checkrs.
- Proficiency in Ruby or Python
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
- Experience with microservices
- Experience with queueing architectures
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.