Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for experienced Platform Engineers to work with us to continue developing and building tools, processes, and our infrastructure to serve our Engineering teams.
Our platform team is open-source first, with multiple open source maintainers and even more users of some of our tools outside the company than inside. We’re at the forefront of Kafka tooling in startups.
Our team’s mission is to enable product quality and velocity by solving concerns that apply to all other engineering teams. We support common tooling, observability and alerting features for monolith, macro, and microservices. We build testing tools like OpenMock to give our engineering teams confidence in their tests. And our open source Flagr project allows Product Managers to control and measure feature rollout.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Building new features and testing them
- Collaborate with peers to brainstorm new product ideas from design and implementation to release
- Talking to your team and deciding how an API method should work and look like
- Whiteboarding to fix scaling issues and then implementing it
- Contribute to internal tooling to help improve our workflow, increase efficiency and making everyone's lives more simplistic
- Help identify, triage and solve bugs
What we value in a Platform Engineer:
- 5+ years of software engineering and/or work related industry experience
- You have curiosity in figuring out how to deliver clean, robust and scalable code
- You have experience with at least one or more of the following -- microservices, API design, infrastructure services (Kafka, API Gateway, RPC frameworks, high-level testing strategies) or open source software
- You understand how to build out reliable distributed systems and can deeply discuss tradeoffs
- Experience with queueing architectures
- You are a strong communicator and can bridge concepts to PMs and other engineers. You are responsible for the full technical product development cycle from researching, spec’ing, developing, testing and evangelizing.
- Proficiency in Ruby or Python or Go
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
- Experience with microservices
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.