Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Verifications team in building best in class products that enable Enterprise customers to qualify candidates for employment during the background check process. The verifications team is responsible for building candidate centric screenings, including but not limited to our education/employment verifications products as well as our drug and occupational health products. These screenings involve abstracting complex workflows and business logic to enable a seamless customer experience.
We are seeking someone who has a strong technical background and is passionate about driving new features from inception through release. You will be part of building high-quality features by designing event based systems to support the background check lifecycle and surfacing the data via API and client-side interfaces. Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn and love their work.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr
- Collaborating with product, design, and operations to design new product ideas
- Solving challenging and highly rewarding problems posed by Checkr’s largest customers
- Whiteboarding with teammates on feature architecture and design
- Building, testing and releasing features across the entire stack
What we value in a Software Engineer:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- A strong communicator who can bridge concepts across Sales, Product, and other Engineering teams
- A cunning problem solver well-versed in considering and making technical tradeoffs
- Proficiency using Ruby or Python
- Experience with ORMs and datastores (MySQL, MongoDB)
- Experience designing and building APIs
- Experience with modern web frameworks (Rails, React, Angular, etc.)
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BS or MS)
- Experience with microservices
- Experience building and delivering products for enterprise customers
- Experience with scrum or other agile development
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).