Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
As Product & Privacy Counsel, you will provide legal support primarily to Checkr’s product and engineering teams. As we design and build tools that help businesses make informed hiring decisions, and individuals understand and interact with their personal data, you will advise on consumer reporting, employment, and privacy laws as part of a diverse, and highly collaborative legal department.
- Collaborate across the organization on the development of compliance-focused products and services
- Review product specs and provide daily support to PMs and Engineers
- Translate product features to create approachable customer education content
- Advise the business and guide product development to comply with Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and U.S. and international privacy laws (e.g., GDPR, CCPA)
What you bring:
- 4+ years of relevant experience (privacy and/or product law)
- J.D. and admission to California Bar (or ability to practice in-house in California)
- Fluency in basic tech speak, ability to learn new areas of the law confidently, and ability to follow rigorous and data-based analysis
- Experience working at a technology company
- Experience with compliance-focused design (i.e., products or services in a regulated industry)
- Experience practicing employment law and/or criminal law
- You’re an educator. You can easily break down complicated laws and regulatory frameworks into understandable and approachable language.
- You’re a skeptic. You have a passion for truly understanding how things work--and the first answer you find is rarely enough.
- You’re direct. You are effective in a fast-paced environment where you give quick, clear, and concise legal advice.
- You have a great sense of humor. Obviously.
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).