Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
About the Role
Checkr is seeking our first User Experience Researcher. As our first User Experience Researcher, you will be responsible bringing strong leadership and direction to our current research processes, and building a research framework to inspire exploration and evaluate design. And by working closely with the product and design team, your insights will directly impact the direction of the company. As a small team working on a growing product, we will be relying on you to help us build a better understanding our customers and their applicants, and ultimately improving their experiences across the board. You will do research that varies in approach, scale, scope, timeframe and research methodologies, ranging from conceiving and implementing large-scale ethnographic studies to running quick usability tests.
- Builds lasting relationships with customers getting them excited to work with the Product team
- Manages our research customers contact information while executing proactive outreach and recruiting
- Planning and carrying out research projects with the product and design team
- Leading research projects end to end: develop scripts and screeners, moderate, analyze, synthesize and deliver results
- Communicating learnings and illustrating recommendations in a compelling and an easy to understand way
- Packaging insights into design tools and assets for product managers and designers to use (research briefs, personas, design principles, experience maps, scenarios, etc., as appropriate)
- 4+ years experience in applied product research
- Command of a broad set of qualitative and user-centered design methods, the knowledge of when to use them, and how they fit into the design and the product development process
- You know when learnings from qualitative or quantitative studies would be most impactful
- Solid sense of defining all aspects of research including sampling, methodology, survey and discussion instruments
- Creativity in designing research that allows you to generate useful data in a timely fashion, and within the sometimes constrained resources of a startup
- Strong sense of project management, independence, and comfort marshalling resources, managing timelines and getting things done
- Clear articulation of ideas across mediums, so that findings are disseminated broadly and can form the basis for ongoing institutional knowledge
- Degree in HCI, Psychology, Social Science or a related field
- Bringing additional skills such as illustration, branding, photography, motion design, etc
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).