Check is leading a revolution in the payroll industry. Payroll is the backbone of the US economy, and yet it has not undergone significant innovation in decades. We invented the embedded payroll space to change that (see: Check: Solving the $150 Billion Payroll Problem, Bank On It; Episode 438), both for the business owners who spend countless hours per week running payroll and for the millions of Americans who depend on their next paycheck. At Check, our mission is to empower the most innovative software platforms to create new payroll businesses, and enable those businesses to transform the way companies pay their employees.
Check’s culture is intensely caring: to each other as teammates, to our partners, and to the businesses and workers we serve. Our teams are made up of creative problem solvers and empathetic cross-functional collaborators who can simplify the complexities of payroll. We bring hustle and grit to our day-to-day, while building enduring solutions and relationships.
Check is seeking a Controller to lead our Accounting function. Reporting to the Head of Finance and Business Operations, the Controller will work to build and scale the Company’s financial operations by recruiting, developing and mentoring the Accounting team and designing and implementing best practices. They will be responsible for owning the company’s control processes and accounting policies, maintaining the general ledger, leading the monthly close process, preparing monthly financial statements, managing tax, treasury, and leading financial operations.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee day-to-day accounting and financial operations
- Assess financial risks and opportunities and provide financial guidance to the executive team
- Maintain and improve accounting policies, internal controls and close processes
- Manage complex accounting areas including payroll trust accounting, revenue, commission accounting, equity, consolidations, etc.
- Work cross-functionally to shape commercial contract terms and opine on revenue recognition impacts, ensuring ASC606 compliance while optimizing terms for Check
- Own GAAP financial reporting and audit deliverables
- Build, manage and mentor an internal accounting team
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accountancy, Finance, or related degree
- CPA license preferred
- 8+ years of related experience
- Public accounting experience with a “Big 4” firm preferred
- Experience as Assistant Controller or higher in a US public company and/or experience as Controller at a late stage private venture backed company preferred
- Experience with High growth, SaaS company; knowledge of usage based revenue model a plus
- History of scaling and process improvement for finance and accounting operations
- Strong technical accounting skills (US GAAP) with demonstrated ASC 606/revenue recognition and consolidation experience
- Strong knowledge of non-GAAP industry metrics applicable to SaaS companies
- Excellent knowledge and experience in assessing, developing, and implementing controls and systems, Sage Intacct preferred
- Proven ability to hire, manage, and mentor high-performing teams; experience in leading a global accounting team with an international presence is a plus
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to effectively collaborate and drive initiatives cross-functionally
- Excited to work with a distributed team
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately one work week per quarter for managers
Travel and Office Policy
The Check team is distributed across the US and Canada and we have offices in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important. We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We expect all employees to be willing to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall.
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We provide meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the team hosts regular happy hours, game nights, etc.
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $182,000 and $233,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
We accept applications on an ongoing basis with no specified deadline.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.