Check is leading a revolution in the payroll industry. Payroll is the backbone of the US economy, and yet it has not undergone significant innovation in decades. We invented the embedded payroll space to change that (see: Check: Solving the $150 Billion Payroll Problem, Bank On It; Episode 438), both for the business owners who spend countless hours per week running payroll and for the millions of Americans who depend on their next paycheck. At Check, our mission is to empower the most innovative software platforms to create new payroll businesses, and enable those businesses to transform the way companies pay their employees.
Check’s culture is intensely caring: to each other as teammates, to our partners, and to the businesses and workers we serve. Our teams are made up of creative problem solvers and empathetic cross-functional collaborators who can simplify the complexities of payroll. We bring hustle and grit to our day-to-day, while building enduring solutions and relationships.
At Check, the Support team is responsible for proactive and reactive partner and employer contact and account management, including responding to inbound ticket requests for support. The support function's goal is to deliver exceptional service, and we do this by developing professional relationships with partners and their customers to earn their respect and trust. It is the responsibility of the payroll support specialist to work across the teams at Check to ensure a high level of service for all of our partners.
We’re looking for an experienced and collaborative payroll individual to join our team and work closely with our Payroll Support Manager.
In this role, you will:
- Identify and assess customer’s needs to achieve satisfaction.
- Collaborate with partners and customers to review payroll and tax information, ensuring accuracy and compliance with regulations.
- Meet or exceed response and ticket SLAs to provide timely and effective support to partners.
- Provide expert guidance on product, technical, and tax-related inquiries, resolving issues and escalating as needed.
- Triage non-support related requests to other internal teams.
- Minimize escalation through ownership and transparency.
- Research and resolve tax notices, collaborating with our tax team to ensure prompt and accurate resolution.
- Support our Tax team with requests during quarter-end and year-end filings.
- Continuously improve skills and knowledge through collaboration with all cross-functional teams.
- Build strong relationships to establish trust and drive partner/customer retention.
- Exceed partner/customer expectations by providing exceptional customer service and support.
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Have a deep passion for solving customer problems
- Strong phone contact handling skills and active listening
- Capable of managing several tasks at once in a fast-moving environment
- Are eager to "roll-up their sleeves" and get things done
- Strong attention to detail
- Have 2+ years of experience in payroll
- Understanding of amendments
- Comfort with ticketing systems and tracking work (ie Salesforce, ZenDesk, etc)
- Are eager to continue the payroll journey
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Takes ownership and identifies areas to improve quality and efficiency
- Willingness and interest in attending our annual 3 day company offsite in the fall
Travel and Office Policy
The Check team is distributed across the US. We have hubs in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important! We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We require all employees to be willing and interested in attending our annual 3-day company offsite in the Fall.
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We encourage teams to go into the office Tuesdays and Thursdays.
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual for this role is between $75,000 and $102,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
We accept applications on an ongoing basis with no specified deadline.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.