Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers.
At Check, we believe that paying people should be simple. We're looking for a Product Design Lead to deliver powerful, yet simple experiences for the many payroll businesses integrating, operating, and scaling on top of Check.
What you’ll do:
- Embed with different R&D teams to define what we build and how
- Partner with R&D leadership to optimize our product design processes
- Collect and communicate user insights through user testing
- Work in a highly collaborative environment with project teams spanning design, product, engineering, compliance, and payroll operations
- Communicate regularly, leveraging both low and high-fidelity design
- Develop and communicate mental models for both UIs and APIs
What you might work on:
- Interfaces and tooling for Partners to manage and scale their payroll businesses
- Check Components: out-of-the-box, embeddable UI components of key payroll functions to accelerate the build out of key payroll features
- Onboarding flows for employers to run their first payrolls with ease and confidence
- Reimagined payroll processes and tooling to dramatically scale operational teams
- Check’s design system to drive quality, consistency, and velocity
- Best practices and examples for how to design a payroll product
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience of relevant product design experience
- Comfort and interest in technical products
- Great systems thinker—you have a knack for simplifying the complex. You are great at uncovering patterns and opportunities to efficiently evolve design systems while successfully driving and managing projects from ideation to final deliverable
- Exceptional design chops—you’re a skilled product designer who strives to design products that look just as good as they do function—leveraging the best design patterns but innovating where we can to push the quality of the visual design and UX of our core products
- Strong storyteller—you are persuasive and humble in explaining your work and process to internal and external stakeholders while having the ability to take abstract concepts and turn them into tangible and compelling stories across mediums and channels
- A champion for design—your exceptional attention to detail and insights on current trends drives you to relentlessly advocate for solutions that are good for our end users whether they are internal or external-facing
You should be comfortable using:
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc)
- Have payroll experience
- Have an interest in API design
- Working experience in creating pattern libraries and a passion for product design systems
- Have experience in designing and co-building motion design patterns
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $180,000 and $220,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.