Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers.
Engineering is the core of Check. We believe payroll can and should be easy-to-use financial software, but getting there requires serious and sustained engineering effort. For our efforts, there is the deep satisfaction that comes from democratizing programmatic access to a huge part of the economy and from delivering people's paychecks.
For this role, we are seeking an engineering manager with an entrepreneurial mindset, deep technical experience, and high integrity. As one of the early engineering managers at Check, you will have an outsized impact on the direction of the engineering organization and our systems.
In this role, you will:
- Work with one or more teams of talented engineers to deliver a robust and compliant payroll infrastructure platform that supports Check and enables our partners' products as they scale
- Support the team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and productivity
- Help shape our system architecture with a technical and product vision
- Partner with other leaders to build and execute against roadmaps
- Recruit, coach, and develop engineers that exemplify our shared values
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have:
- Hands on experience scaling critical software platforms in regulated domains
- 2+ years of engineering management experience, and 6+ years of overall software development experience
- Built new, diverse, distributed teams to tackle challenging technical problems
- A record of providing individuals with meaningful opportunities for growth
- Thrived in highly cross-functional organizations
At Check we value transparency and trust. It’s important to us that every employee and candidate feels confident that they’ll be treated (and compensated) fairly on our team. The engineering team specifically operates on a flat titling system, meaning everyone is either a Software Engineer or an Engineering Manager. We structure our titles this way to maximize equity, inclusion and opportunity within our team, and to minimize seniority bias. We want all engineers, regardless of job level, to feel empowered to lead projects they’re passionate about and to collaborate with their fellow Checketeers as equals.
To that end, we will consider candidates with a variety of backgrounds and levels of expertise for this role, and we will determine the appropriate job level for each candidate based on their unique experience and qualifications. The expected annual salary for this role is between $200,000 and $253,000 depending upon the job level.
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.