Check is leading a revolution in the payroll industry. Payroll is the backbone of the US economy, and yet it has not undergone significant innovation in decades. We invented the embedded payroll space to change that (see: Check: Solving the $150 Billion Payroll Problem, Bank On It; Episode 438), both for the business owners who spend countless hours per week running payroll and for the millions of Americans who depend on their next paycheck. At Check, our mission is to empower the most innovative software platforms to create new payroll businesses, and enable those businesses to transform the way companies pay their employees.
Check’s culture is intensely caring: to each other as teammates, to our partners, and to the businesses and workers we serve. Our teams are made up of creative problem solvers and empathetic cross-functional collaborators who can simplify the complexities of payroll. We bring hustle and grit to our day-to-day, while building enduring solutions and relationships.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of talented engineers to deliver a robust and compliant payroll infrastructure platform that supports Check and enables our partners' products as they scale
- Build teams that execute at a high level of technical excellence and velocity, and grow our most senior engineers into force multipliers
- Build new engineering capacity that appropriately leverages engineering spend for continued maintenance of our payroll systems
- Drive prioritization against high-impact vs high-importance initiatives
- Translate the impact of core foundational investments to cross-functional teams
- Spearhead engineering-wide initiatives
- Shape our system architecture with a technical and product vision
- Partner with other leaders across functions to build and execute against roadmaps
- Recruit, coach, and develop engineers that exemplify our shared values
- Model pace and urgency, while making the right long term tradeoffs
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have:
- Hands-on experience scaling critical software platforms with low fault tolerance
- 6+ years of overall software development experience
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience building motivated, distributed teams that tackle challenging technical problems
- A record of growing individuals into strong engineering leaders
- Thrived in highly cross-functional organizations
- Comfort navigating ambiguity: capable of establishing prioritization frameworks and identifying the right work to meet business outcomes
- Experience making business level decisions and evaluating tradeoffs
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately one work week per quarter
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the Fall
At Check, we value transparency and trust. It’s important to us that every employee and candidate feels confident that they’ll be treated (and compensated) fairly on our team. The engineering team specifically operates on a flat titling system, meaning everyone is either a Software Engineer or an Engineering Manager. We structure our titles this way to maximize equity, inclusion and opportunity within our team, and to minimize seniority bias. We want all engineers, regardless of job level, to feel empowered to lead projects they’re passionate about and to collaborate with their fellow Checketeers as equals.
To that end, we will consider candidates with a variety of backgrounds and levels of expertise for this role, and we will determine the appropriate job level for each candidate based on their unique experience and qualifications. The expected annual salary for this role is between $210,000 and $230,000.
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on their first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
We accept applications on an ongoing basis with no specified deadline.
Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com with “accommodations” in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.