About Charter Impact Fund (CIF)
Charter Impact Fund (CIF) is a new nonprofit social impact fund that’s on a nationwide mission to help high-performing charter schools spend more money on students and less on the costs of borrowing for their facilities. We offer school leaders simple and much-needed access to low-cost, long-term loans, combined with support from an expert team that has walked in their shoes.
With significant long-term funding and an innovative strategy, CIF is giving more of America’s students access to the outstanding education they deserve. We partner with the charter schools making the biggest difference for kids, providing them with funding and assistance to amplify their impact.
If you’re seeking to have community-level impact on a national scale, apply to join our team!
The Investment Associate (IA) will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact at CIF – and on the charter school sector as a whole – as a member of its founding team. The IA will report to an Investment Principal and support CIF’s entire Lending Team. The ideal candidate will possess excellent analytical and financial skills, energetically embrace the sometimes-ambiguous work of a startup, and contribute to a collaborative, team-oriented culture of excellence.
The Investment Associate will be responsible for:
- Origination and Underwriting: Supporting the Lending Team with structuring, underwriting, and preparing transactions for credit committee approval.
- Data Management: Maintaining a database of school and deal-related information such as location, project data, enrollment, performance, and long-term impact.
- Outreach and Sourcing: Participating in CIF’s efforts to develop a pipeline of potential high quality loans through various marketing and outreach initiatives.
- Internal System Development: Partnering with other credit team members to develop systems, policies, and procedures for developing the portfolio, including origination, lending, and reporting.
- Organizational Excellence: Partaking in strategic planning and goal-setting processes.
- Policy and research: Monitoring proposed legislation and policy matters related to CIF’s core business and the charter school sector.
The Investment Associate should be a highly motivated, mission-aligned profession who understands the complex mechanics borrowing and investing in the charter school sector or a similar field. Other qualifications and qualities include:
- An MBA or equivalent degree (MPP, MPA, CFA, etc.)
- 3-5+ years of overall professional experience
- 2+ years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management
- 2+ years of impact investing/nonprofit/school experience preferred
- “Must Love Schools” -- the ideal candidate will be passionate about education reform and have experience working with schools
- Experience with financial and operational due diligence of Charter Schools or similar entities highly preferred
- Expertise in charter school facilities financing strongly preferred
- Top notch quantitative, financial modeling, and analysis skills
- Track record of meeting and exceeding aggressive goals
- Strong proclivity for teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous startup atmosphere
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to produce high-quality work products under tight deadlines
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to collaborate across functional areas
- High degree of integrity and authenticity
Compensation and benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. We are proud to offer excellent benefits.
New York City with occasional travel.
The Investment Associate will report to an Investment Principal.