If your background is in Cybersecurity, Computer Science and Engineering, Digital Forensics, Management Information Systems, or Security Information Systems, learn more about what you can do at CRA!
Who is Charles River Associates?
Charles River Associates® is a leading global consulting firm specializing in economic, financial, and management consulting services. CRA advises clients on economic and financial matters pertaining to litigation and regulatory proceedings, and guides corporations through critical business strategy and performance-related issues. Since 1965, clients have engaged CRA for its unique combination of functional expertise and industry knowledge, and for its objective solutions to complex problems.
Our practices that most frequently hire candidates with these backgrounds (hiring locations are listed):
- Forensic Services, E-Discovery (Chicago, New York)
- Forensic Services, Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics (Boston, Chicago, Dallas, New York, Toronto, ON, Washington, D.C.)
You can learn more about our work by reviewing our Services and Industries on our website.
What Will I do at CRA?
Tasks below may vary based on your Forensic Services area of focus.
- Assist with security and privacy investigations in response to data security matters, which may include ongoing breaches and fraud.
- Engage in problem solving and forensic analysis of digital information using standard computer forensic and evidence handling techniques and tools.
- Apply investigative techniques, scientific reasoning, and digital forensic techniques against various systems to answer questions.
- Identify, research, and organize information to determine what a hacker did to a compromised system, whether data was stolen from a company asset, or what data to assess and provide in a litigation.
- Defensibly collect digital evidence and complete chain-of-custody documentation.
- Leverage your programming, model building, and database administration skills (including using Python, T-SQL, VBA, Excel, C#, and/or other programming languages and tools).
- Communicate with team members, clients, and other professionals to share investigative and analytical findings, and assist with the drafting of written reports to summarize procedures performed and findings.
- Work closely with business stakeholders and experts to develop new and innovative tools to support the evolving forensic landscape.
- Stay up to date with developments in digital forensics, e-discovery, and incident response.
How Will I Grow at CRA?
- A commitment to offering 100 hours of training annually through Formal and informal training programs, including:
- Research and analysis training program focused on technical skills, consulting skills and networking with colleagues
- Quarterly technical training taught by in-house experts and affiliated professors
- Presentation skills and management training
- Partnership with LinkedIn Learning featuring more than 13,000 courses
- For those considering a graduate program, annual workshops featuring small group Q&A with top admissions officers
- Flexible and continuous mentorship, coaching and feedback from an assigned senior staff colleague to help guide your career journey
- Leadership opportunities in recruiting, training, corporate sports teams, and volunteer activities in the local community
- In-house immigration support for foreign nationals and those conducting international business travel
- Wellness program to promote mental, physical, emotional, and financial well-being (e.g. nutrition counselling, financial wellbeing seminars, team fitness competitions)
- Superior benefits package
Exceptional candidates should demonstrate familiarity with several of these skills:
- Strong understanding of computer operating systems, software, and hardware.
- Ability to conduct detailed forensic investigations and analyses of computers, networks, mobile devices, and removable media
- Experience with conducting digital forensic analyses using commercial and open-source forensic tools, including file system forensics, memory analysis, and network analysis.
- Experience with conducting static/dynamic malware analyses in a lab environment and threat hunting in a live environment.
- Strong understanding of proper evidence handling procedures and chain-of-custody.
- Experience with drafting technical and investigative reports and communicating technical findings.
- Experience with utilizing automation tools and scripts to expedite analyses.
- Understanding of incident handling procedures, including preparation, identification, containment, eradication, and recovery-to-protect enterprise environments.
- Understanding of common attack techniques used by an adversary on a victim network and how to leverage those techniques to stop further adversary activity.
- Individuals with digital forensics/incident response training and/or certifications, including SANS GIAC (GCIA, GCFA, GCFE, GNFA, GCCC, and/or GREM), IACIS (CFCE or CIFR), and/or Guidance Software (EnCE), are preferred but not required.
What We Always are Looking for in a Candidate:
- Curious and analytical thinkers who can bring creative approaches to non-standard problems
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated high level of initiative and leadership
- Strong teamwork and collaboration capabilities
- Excellent time management and task prioritization skills
- Clear and demonstrated interest in consulting through coursework, work experience, activities, or attendance at CRA recruiting events
Interested in applying?
To be considered for a position in North America, we require the following:
- Cover letter – please describe your interest in CRA and how this role matches your goals. Also, please note if you have interest in a particular practice and/or a location preference.
- Resume – please include current address, email, and telephone number
- Transcript – may be unofficial. Note: you must be graduating from an undergraduate or masters program for this role. If you have work experience, please visit our Careers Site to see currently open roles.
If you are interested in applying for one of our international locations, please click here to view and apply for available jobs.
Work Location, Flexibility, and COVID Safety
At CRA, we believe in creating a work environment that enables our colleagues to benefit from being together in the office to best deliver on our promise of career growth and mentorship, while also taking advantage of the flexibility and inclusivity that working from home provides. We continue to monitor local government and regulatory guidance and adapt our safety guidelines accordingly. For those who begin the interview process with CRA, your recruiting point of contact will be available to answer any questions about work location and COVID safety.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Charles River Associates is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our focus on equity and inclusion, we work to ensure a fair and consistent hiring process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
CRA is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AAE): Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled.
The city of New York requires CRA to include a good-faith estimate of the wage range for this role. This range is specific to individuals applying to work in our New York office and considers a number of factors including but not limited to experience, education level, and expertise. A good-faith estimate of the base wage range for this role is $87,000 - $87,000; actual total compensation may also include benefits and bonus.