At Charles River Analytics, we take great pride in our success at attracting and retaining the most talented and creative problem-solvers in the field. We are a 100% employee-owned company, encouraging participation, innovation, and responsibility from our entire staff. CRA has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic computational linguist with high interest and research experience in natural language processing (NLP) to work on applied NLP research solving real operational problems for the US Government and commercial customers.
Example projects you may work on include:
- Developing a system that uses a functional grammar and semantic representations to generate draft reports
- Developing information extraction tools for extracting key information from academic papers, system descriptions
- Developing systems that extract key information from news stories or press releases written in several different languages
- Developing tools to detect bias and subjectivity in written communications
- Developing applications that apply NLP techniques to cyber-security problems (e.g., using a grammar to parse malware behavior)
What will do you?
You will work on parsing, understanding, and generating natural language using a variety of technologies, such as knowledge representation, semantic technologies, machine learning, and advanced visualizations to support decision-making. You will design and build knowledge structures such as grammars and semantic representations that support specific applications. You will work in small project-oriented research groups led by a Principal Investigator and supported by other scientists and software engineers. You will perform scientific research and rapid prototyping. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to published research. This internship will give you an opportunity to gain real world experience on interesting projects and the potential for future full-time employment. At Charles River Analytics, we foster an environment where scientists are free to pursue their own research interests as well as working in highly collaborative teams.
What do you need?
- Pursuit of a Master's degree in Computer Science (or closely related field) with emphasis on computational linguistics or natural language processing
- Interest in applied NLP research, particularly syntactic parsing and semantics
- Advanced programming skills in Python, Java, or other object-oriented programming languages (code samples may be requested)
- Candidates should have demonstrated capability to work independently as well as effectively within a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form (writing samples may be requested)
- This position requires enthusiasm and energy coupled with the ability to adapt under pressure
- Candidates must be able to take direction and take initiative, and the knowledge of when to apply each
- US Citizenship is required for this position
- Experience with NLP technologies, implementations of grammar and semantic formalisms, machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, and/or information retrieval
- Experience with NLP applications, such as named entity extraction, named entity resolution, relationship extraction, and natural language generation.
- Fluency in, or experience processing, languages other than English
Charles River Analytics offers an attractive benefits package that includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Casual work environment
- Free snacks and beverages
- Eligible for medical plan enrollment or opt-out incentive
- Paid sick/excused time
- Free onsite parking and easily accessible by public transportation (the MBTA)