WHO WE ARE
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies (Schusterman) is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and advance equity. Our philanthropic vision is grounded in a commitment to pursue justice, repair the world and treat all people with dignity and civility. We invest in efforts to improve public education in the United States, strengthen the Jewish people and Israel, and address the needs of marginalized individuals and communities.
The Associate, Communications (AC) is a member of the Communications team, which is based in Schusterman’s Atlanta, Georgia, and Washington, DC, offices. The Communications team employs a range of strategies to support and amplify Schusterman’s philanthropic work. The AC will focus on our external communications strategy, managing projects, supporting efforts to cultivate new audiences and developing compelling content to elevate the work of our portfolio and program teams, with particular emphasis on the REALITY program. The AC will be skilled at managing multiple projects and delivering a high-quality work product on deadline in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Support development and execution of annual communications plans for portfolios and programs teams. Specific responsibilities include:
- Supporting annual and quarterly planning meetings;
- Developing project plans with clear goals, outcomes, timelines and key metrics;
- Ensuring content is accurate, timely, reflects key themes and issues, and meets editorial standards;
- Monitoring and reporting on media coverage.
Work in partnership with portfolio and program teams to develop content to support communications goals and projects. Specific responsibilities include:
- Writing, researching, editing and updating timely long- and short-form content for web, email and social media;
- Sourcing content for website, newsletters, emails and social media;
- Developing explainers on key issues affecting Schusterman’s work;
- Supporting execution of multimedia storytelling initiatives; and
- Serving as point person for coordinating with graphic designer.
Support content development and project management for programmatic- and event-based initiatives. Specific responsibilities include:
- Managing print and digital content for programmatic and event-based recruitment, gatherings and immersive experiences, including journeys, reunions, etc.
- Driving event-based content engagement through live tweeting, Facebook live, IGTV, etc.
- Managing member directories to ensure contact information is current. Collaborate on information update campaigns.
Maintain standards and practices for content development, while identifying new best practices to pursue. Specific responsibilities include:
- Staying up-to-date on best practices in digital communication and adjust the content strategy, as necessary;
- Ensuring all content reflects Schusterman’s point of view, voice, values and clear calls to action; and
- Developing quarterly content development debriefs to share with portfolio- and program- teams.
The following qualifications are representative of the high level of demonstrated skills, maturity, judgment and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies required of Schusterman employees:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 3+ years of writing and editorial experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including a demonstrated ability in writing and storytelling for digital platforms and diverse audiences required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and deliver a high-quality work product on deadline in a collaborative, fast-paced environment with multiple stakeholders is required.
- Strong content development experience. Knowledge of best practices and trends in content and copywriting required.
- Experience writing effective copy for various digital media and marketing systems, including website, email marketing and social media platforms, is required.
- Strong technical skills and ability to learn new systems and technology quickly. Experience with mobile technology systems, including WhatsApp, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, Twitter DMs, etc, is required. Knowledge of Salesforce, Drupal (or similar CMS) and Marketing Cloud is a plus.
- Deep commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion [REDI] is required.
- Familiarity within philanthropy and/or nonprofit sectors preferred.
- Keen eye for aesthetics, details and professional design is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to develop cooperative working relationships with supervisory personnel, co-workers, grantees, program participants and the general public required.
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public required.
- PC skills (with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as a thorough knowledge and comfort of basic web skills required.
- Ability to travel, upon occasion, required.
Competitive salary band of $70,000-$90,000 based on experience and on Schusterman’s commitment to internal equity. A strong benefits package is also included. Schusterman encourages ongoing professional development and supports activities aligned with one’s individual career growth plan. Schusterman does not cover relocation expenses for this position.
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Schusterman promotes diversity and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identify, gender expression, religious creed, disability, genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.