WHO WE ARE
The Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation (Schusterman) is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and advance equity. Our philanthropic vision is grounded in a commitment to pursue justice, repair the world and treat all people with dignity and civility. We invest in efforts to improve public education in the United States, strengthen the Jewish people and Israel, and address the needs of marginalized individuals and communities.
The Associate, Communications (AC) is a member of the Communications team, which is based in Schusterman’s Atlanta, Georgia, and Washington, DC, offices. The Communications team uses a range of strategies to support and amplify Schusterman’s philanthropic work. The AC will be primarily responsible for researching, writing and editing long- and short-form content to support Schusterman’s portfolios and programs, with particular emphasis on the REALITY program.
• Write, research, edit and update timely long- and short-form content for web, email and social media to support Schusterman’s portfolios and programs.
• Develop explainers on key issues affecting Schusterman’s work.
• Ensure all content reflects Schusterman’s point of view, voice, values and clear calls to action.
• Manage print and digital content for programmatic and event-based recruitment, gatherings and immersive experiences, including journeys, reunions, etc.
• Develop and support execution of multimedia storytelling initiatives.
• Manage content for, as well as build and send, newsletters, emails and SMS campaigns.
• Drive event-based content engagement through live tweeting, Facebook live, IGTV, etc.
• Manage member directories to ensure contact information is current. Operate information update campaigns.
• Serve as point person for coordinating with graphic designer on programmatic and event graphic design assets.
• Stay up-to-date on best practices and adjust the content strategy as necessary.
The following qualifications are representative of the high level of demonstrated skills, maturity, judgment and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies required of Schusterman employees:
• A Bachelor’s degree is required.
• 3+ years of writing and editorial experience required.
• Familiarity within philanthropy and/or nonprofit sectors preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including a demonstrated ability in writing and storytelling for digital platforms and diverse audiences required.
• Strong content development experience. Knowledge of best practices and trends in content and copywriting required.
• Experience writing effective copy for various digital media and marketing systems, including website, email marketing and social media platforms, is required.
• Strong technical skills and ability to learn new systems and technology quickly. Experience with mobile technology systems, including Whatsapp, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, Twitter DMs, etc, is required. Knowledge of Salesforce, Drupal (or similar CMS) and Marketing Cloud is a plus.
• Deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is required.
• Demonstrated ability to manage projects and deliver a high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment is required.
• Keen eye for aesthetics, details and professional design is required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to develop cooperative working relationships with supervisory personnel, co-workers, grantees, program participants and the general public.
• Ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public.
• PC skills (with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as a thorough knowledge and comfort of basic web skills required.
• Ability to travel, upon occasion, required.
Competitive salary based on experience and on Schusterman’s commitment to internal equity. A strong benefits package is also included. Schusterman does not cover relocation expenses for this position.
The Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Schusterman promotes diversity and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identify, gender expression, religious creed, disability, genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.