We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
You will be an integral member of CZI’s Legal & Grants team, focused on supporting CZI’s tax-exempt organizations, including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Foundation (CZIF). You will collaborate with grantmakers, scientists, educators and other team members, across CZI and its partners, to help ensure CZI is in compliance with laws and regulations applicable to tax exempt organizations. Your guidance will be critical to furthering CZI’s strategic mission and operational goals, and will span all aspects of CZI’s work. In addition, you will contribute significantly to the development of templates, policies, processes, and trainings for a fast-moving, mission-driven organization. If you are a team player who enjoys solving nuanced and varied legal issues, and doesn’t mind rolling up your sleeves and diving into new projects, then we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
What You'll Do
- Be an advisor and essential compliance resource for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s tax-exempt organizations, which will require a strong understanding of the sections of the Internal Revenue Code, and accompanying regulations, applicable to private foundations and other tax-exempt organizations.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a broad range of agreements and related documents, partnering closely with program colleagues on grantmaking, impact investing, and other funding activities.
- Draft clear and concise policies, guidelines, and other resources needed to establish and scale compliance for our tax-exempt entities.
- Establish and implement a client service-oriented approach to ongoing inquiries about tax exempt-specific legal rules and processes.
- Develop and deliver trainings to key stakeholders at all levels across the organization.
- Assist on governance and other corporate matters from time to time.
- Engage in other legal and compliance projects as needed, proactively and eagerly contributing to a scaling team and organization.
What You'll Bring
- JD required and an active membership in at least one U.S. state bar, preferably California.
- 4+ years of legal experience with at least 2 years of experience handling legal issues associated with philanthropic and grantmaking tax-exempt organizations.
- Enthusiasm for CZI’s mission and ability to counsel the organization, and its related tax-exempt entities, on how best to achieve their goals in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and accompanying regulations.
- Ability to analyze legal risk based on variable facts and communicate compliance considerations.
- Demonstrated project management ability and the desire to work on projects across diverse client groups with unique professional experiences.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to partner effectively at all levels both internally and externally to CZI .
- History of demonstrating good judgment and integrity.
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission- and team-oriented sensibilities.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $171,000-$257,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination or take an onsite COVID test.