We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZ Imaging Institute
In our Science work, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We build open source software tools to accelerate science and generate more accurate and biologically important sources of data, fund scientific research worldwide to advance the frontiers of knowledge, and launched a family of institutes to do research that can’t be done in conventional environments.
To accomplish our mission, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. The Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 15 years to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level. Researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Senior Scientist, Electron Microscopy Technology Platform, to be responsible for the overall operation and management of the facility, including equipment maintenance, staff supervision, and user support. The facility supports a wide range of imaging and analysis needs for researchers and technology developers at the CZII. The Manager will work closely with researchers and technology developers to understand their imaging needs and develop solutions to meet those needs.
What You'll Do
- Manage a suite of instruments including transmission electron microscopes, focus ion beam scanning electron microscopes, cryo light microscopes, high pressure freezers, etc.
- Supervise and manage the facility staff, including hiring, training, and performance evaluations
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained and operated in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations and safety guidelines
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the use of the facility
- Coordinate with researchers and technology developers to understand their imaging needs and develop solutions to meet those needs
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers of equipment and supplies
- Ensure that equipment and supplies are ordered and received in a timely manner
- Stay current with new technologies and developments in the field of electron microscopy and integrate these into the workflows at the facility
- Collaborate with other facility managers and support staff to ensure that the facility is integrated with the Institute's overall research operations.
What You'll Bring
- PhD in structural biology or a related field
- 5+ years of experience managing an electron microscopy facility or related research facility
- Intensive experience with preparing specimen using FIB milling
- Extensive experience with acquiring tomographic data from a TEM
- Strong knowledge of electron microscopy techniques and equipment
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $128,000-$176,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!