We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZ Imaging Institute
In our Science work, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We build open source software tools to accelerate science and generate more accurate and biologically important sources of data, fund scientific research worldwide to advance the frontiers of knowledge, and launched a family of institutes to do research that can’t be done in conventional environments.
To accomplish our mission, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. The Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 15 years to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level. Researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Senior Scientist, Wet-Lab Support & Sample Preparation, to oversee the operations of our wet lab including cell culture facilities that are in support of cryo electron tomography (Cryo-ET) technology development and biological research. The successful candidate will have a strong background in wet lab operations and experience with cell culture, and will be responsible for managing the laboratory, equipment, and resources. They will also be responsible for ensuring that all laboratory procedures are performed in compliance with safety regulations and good laboratory practices.
What You'll Do
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the wet lab and cell culture laboratory
- Ensure that all laboratory procedures are performed in compliance with safety regulations and good laboratory practices
- Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory equipment, including ordering and maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for laboratory procedures
- Collaborate with other scientists to design and execute experiments, troubleshoot technical issues, and optimize protocols
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in cell culture and Cryo-ET technology and implement new techniques as appropriate
- Help manage the laboratory budget, including ordering equipment and supplies
- Write technical reports and publications to document new findings and techniques
What You'll Bring
- Degree in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a laboratory setting, experience with cell culture, experience with cryo-ET is a plus
- Management experience in a laboratory setting
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with laboratory safety regulations and good laboratory practices
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $118,000 - $177,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination or take an onsite COVID test.