We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZ Imaging Institute
In our Science work, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We build open source software tools to accelerate science and generate more accurate and biologically important sources of data, fund scientific research worldwide to advance the frontiers of knowledge, and launched a family of institutes to do research that can’t be done in conventional environments.
To accomplish our mission, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. The Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 15 years to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level. Researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
What You'll Do
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Technology Team Leader, New Algorithms for CryoET, to lead a team made up of engineers, researchers, and software developers to support the development of new algorithms for cryoET.
- Establish an independent and innovative research program focused on designing novel algorithms to improving the outcomes and speed of cryoET analysis
- Build a research team to develop new algorithms and approaches for cryoET
- Design strategies and experiments to investigate the outcomes of new algorithmic approaches to cryoET
- Collaborate closely with technical teams at CZII
- Collaborate widely with the scientific community
- Lead your own team but liaise and collaborate with the technology group leaders and interact with the Institute research groups, visitors and the global community
- Write research papers and present findings at scientific conferences
- Mentor and train junior researchers in the lab
- Keep up-to-date with the latest research in the field and identify new areas of investigation
- Understand the challenges and opportunities for the Institute, and prioritize where to focus our efforts in biological research as well as how to best apply novel technology developments to provide the highest impact and results to the scientific community
What You'll Bring
- A PhD in structural biology or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in developing new algorithms for electron microscopy applications
- Postdoctoral experience in cell or structural biology
- A strong track record of research accomplishments in algorithm development
- Extensive experience with cryo electron microscopy, and sub-tomographic averaging
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- The ability to multitask and work with technology developers in a highly collaborative environment
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $178,000 - $267,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination or take an onsite COVID test.