Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
Our Technology team is seeking a seasoned Engineering leader to identify opportunities, define and create programs, processes and foster culture to enable development and growth across our engineering, data, product, design and UXR teams. We are looking for a person who has a passion for solving nebulous problems in the technology space and can drive data driven results while juggling multiple priorities. They will be interfacing with senior technology leadership and other cross-functional partners including HR, recruiting and business systems teams.
- Coordinate with our partner technology leaders across all parts of the organization to guide our efforts in helping accelerate their engineering efforts and development velocity
- Guide our infrastructure engineering team in building resilient and efficient software engineering platforms and tools for our technology partner teams to build upon
- Organize and guide our engineering focus on building and supporting our open source software platforms, and working directly with our partner teams across CZI on these platform technologies
- Contribute to guiding and building CZI’s technology brand across industry
- Grow and expand our Core Infrastructure Engineering team of mission driven engineers
- Drive a DevOps and Infrastructure-As-Code oriented engineering and technology culture within our team, and across CZI that is mission-driven, learning-oriented, both humble and daring
- Provide visionary leadership in collaboration with senior staff members, and provide guidance and coaching to team members as they progress in their roles and careers
- Provide guidance in balancing our platform efforts with the pragmatic needs of our engineering team partners across CZI to move fast and collaboratively provide progress towards our collective mission here at CZI.
- Experience managing engineering teams across multiple domains
- Experience building teams that work on diverse set of technologies and platforms
- Ability to hold your own in technical conversations, contribute to software design decisions and support engineers in growing both their skills and their careers
- Successfully worked in cross functional environments, collaborating and coordinating complex projects together with other teams and technical leaders
- Experience partnering with recruiting to build strong engineering teams
- Experience building infrastructure engineering platforms and tools
- Understanding of the DevOps and SRE mindset as part of a development oriented engineering team
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in contributing or developing open source software a strong plus