Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
Our goal is to provide every student, and every teacher, the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative supports and develops personalized learning experiences that are passionate about and led by the learner - meeting them where they are cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally. We're looking for engineers to help bring a new personalized learning platform to the globe's generation of students and help advance the potential of humanity.
- Design, build, and maintain a data platform to support work across multiple products and scrums
- Develop pipelines and data products to power research by data scientists with access to data that is accurate, easy to access, and reliable
- Scale and maintain our warehouse and associated infrastructure, with a focus on data accuracy, privacy, and security
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders and help members of the initiative adopt and use tools that improve their access to data needed for their work
- Be a steward for data at the initiative by improving data usability and data quality in our data warehouse, and educating initiative members about standard methodologies for use of data
- 6+ years Experience in Software Engineering or Data Engineering, working on large-scale data challenges
- Experience working on data warehouse and data analytics projects, leveraging platforms like Snowflake, Redshift, Kafka, Hadoop, Airflow, DBT, Amundsen or other data technologies
- Expertise with scripting languages such as Python and writing efficient and optimized SQL
- Experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in a database or data warehouse
- Experience working with cross-functional partners, evangelizing change and communicating effectively across different teams
- Experience working with complex and sensitive data in education space or a related space like healthcare or finance
- Passion for education and bringing technology to improving education