Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As a Director, DEI Learning & Consultation, you will be a key partner, champion, and inspiring leader to advance CZI’s diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. Our DEI team has the primary responsibility for developing strategy and driving implementation to increase organizational understanding and capabilities for advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion. You will be instrumental in partnering with our leaders to build a culture that values and supports every team member, enabling them to thrive and that embraces crucial DEI practices to continue to build a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. Through this effort, CZI will be positioned to create maximum impact towards delivering on our mission of building a better future for everyone.
To be successful in this role, you will have significant experience developing and facilitating DEI training and learnings to all members within an organization, and specifically be able to tailor the content to a particular team or group to ensure its relevance and impact. You are able to lead effectively through influence. Your passion for furthering DEI will be apparent to all as you lead collaborative efforts and leverage your strong interpersonal and communications skills. In addition, your analytical capabilities coupled with your operational effectiveness skills will be required to translate ideas into appropriate action. You will be comfortable raising difficult topics and engaging and shifting key partners who may be resistant to change. You will be a trusted partner to internal partners at all levels, and you work effectively with and through others to achieve results.
You will be reporting to the Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
Through leadership and strategic partnership
- Partner with VP of DEI to develop short-, medium- and long-term DEI strategic priorities to embed racial equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do, to allow us to deliver on our mission
- Develop a DEI learning plan for the organization and tailor it specifically to Initiatives, Programs, Functional teams, etc.
- Build, cultivate and/or secure DEI learning opportunities in support of the learning plans and facilitate them on behalf of CZI
- Partner with internal partners to craft high-impact solutions that advance CZI’s DEI agenda: programs, initiatives, practices and policies, etc.
- Provide support, mentorship, and consultation to leaders in assessing team challenges & opportunities and implement responsive strategies
- Lead through influence, leveraging relationships and interpersonal skills to drive organizational impact
- Provide thought leadership on policies, benefits, & practices that support equity and inclusion
- Partner to provide services that are accessible to and inclusive of our diverse staff
- Help set, oversee, track, and measure short-, medium-, and longer-term internal DEI goals for CZI
- Use data to provide insights to partners to drive decision-making and behavior change
- Support DEI efforts by increasing org visibility (e.g. crafting effective collateral materials, which tell a clear story and inspire action)
Employee support responsibilities
- Supervise the development and activation of internal groups and committees in support of our DEI efforts (e.g. Employee Resource Groups, Initiative DEI teams, DEI-related working groups, etc.); coach and support team member(s) directly responsible for managing these internal teams to ensure success (e.g. proactive plans are in place and executed effectively, spending is pre-approved and within budget, strong engagement of key partners, etc.)
- Develop and implement annual DEI communications strategy and learning agenda, including
- Producing high quality trainings and events, including oversight of all planning and logistics
- Craft and identify appropriate and impactful staff professional development opportunities, including manager trainings that support inclusive leadership and/or enhance participants’ ability to work effectively on diverse teams
- Develop and curate a library of best in class DEI trainings and resources, especially those most relevant to CZI
- Design and implement initiatives to promote equitable professional & career development (e.g., mentorship, sponsorship, retention, performance assessment, and succession planning)
- Serve as a consistent and active listener to employees to both gain insight into current concerns and assess effectiveness of our DEI efforts
- Partner with VP of DEI to develop team agendas, ensure ongoing development of DEI team and use of DEI best practices and serve as coach / mentor to more junior team members
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 5 years driving diversity, racial equity and inclusion in communities or organizations
- Experience in developing and facilitating effective DEI org learning plans/trainings
- Knowledgeable facilitator of content on identity, power, privilege, inclusion and racial equity
- Self-starter with experience driving efforts for groundbreaking change; innovative and willing to challenge the status quo
- Proven experience crafting and/or maintaining processes
- Able to manage change, navigate ambiguity, and drive efficiencies in order to achieve DEI objectives and deadlines
- Consistently use sound judgment and discretion to appropriately handle critical and confidential information
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication with the ability to build positive relationships easily and with authenticity at all levels of the organization
- Passion for our mission and desire to contribute to an innovative organization that is balancing start-up hustle with long-term impact