Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning — a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
The Trust team is a mission critical team for the Education Initiative. Both education products, the Summit Learning Platform, and the newly launched video journal, Along, rely on accurate student data in order to personalize the learning experience. We’re responsible for earning and maintaining user trust through building infrastructures that guarantee the security and privacy of the products.
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team to gather requirements and promote and implement best practices
- Design and improve privacy & security infrastructure to protect user data, including user access control for multiple systems
- Maintain and improve the data deletion and export system in compliance with our data privacy principles
- Mentor junior engineers on the team in growing both their skills and their careers
- Help to establish engineering culture
- Build off of and contribute back to the open-source ecosystem
- 5+ years relevant coding experience
- Experience with Ruby on Rails framework or similar web frameworks
- Experience with a scripting language such as Ruby or Python
- Shown ability to independently define project requirements and ship high-quality software and contribute to software design decisions
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Experience designing privacy & security infrastructure (nice to have)