Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As a member of the diversity, equity and inclusion team, you will work closely with CZI’s Head of Diversity Equity and Inclusion to help strengthen the effectiveness and impact of the Head of DEI, as well as the DEI team through strong project management, execution of grants / contracts and administrative support, as needed.
The program and operations associate for DEI reports to the VP of DEI to lead project management of DEI workstreams and ensure timeliness and quality of deliverables. This person will partner with key stakeholders across the organization to ensure there is overall alignment, coordination and timely delivery of this work. They will identify and work to resolve any challenges that arise and escalate issues to VP of DEI, as needed. This role will also support coordination with grantee partners, as needed.
CZI strives to be a racially equitable and inclusive organization that supports all employees in their efforts to be successful, thrive and grow in a dynamic environment. The DEI team works collaboratively across the organization in support of these ideals. This team works especially closely with Human Resources (People Business Partners, Recruiting, etc.), Employee Resource Groups, the Racial Equity Working Group, Initiative and Program teams, senior leadership, etc. The DEI function oversees:
- Strategy development for org-wide DEI efforts: Support processes for developing, vetting and communicating org-wide DEI strategies. Explore opportunities to expand DEI efforts, as appropriate.
- High priority org-wide DEI strategic projects: Oversee complex cross-functional and cross-program projects that require centralized resources and coordination, strong project management and understanding of DEI strategy.
- Strategic partnerships: Build and maintain relationships with numerous internal partners for collaboration, support and execution of DEI objectives (e.g. Leadership Team, HR, ERG Leads, Initiative Leads, Strategic Initiatives, Events, Internal Comms, etc.).
- Develop robust plan for tracking and communication of progress toward goals: Work closely with internal teams (MEL, Comms, HR, etc.) to capture results and share back with org.
The Program and Operations Associate will support operational needs across the DEI team, including providing administrative, operations and project management support for the team.
- Support Team Operations (40%): Working closely with the Head of Diversity Equity & Inclusion, ensure team processes run smoothly. Sample responsibilities include:
- Lead planning and execution of team offsites / other high priority meetings (set agenda, coordinate schedules, liaise with external contractors as needed, manage prep and support facilitation)
- Create a streamlined process for processing grants and contracts in partnership with Finance, Legal and Grants Management. Help process individual grants/contracts for the team on an ad hoc basis.
- Coordinate weekly team meetings, set agenda with support of Head of DEI and other team members; track action items / deliverables; communicate proactively with team members regarding meeting needs.
- Identify opportunities to better track and maintain information and improve team processes.
- Project Management (50%): Provide project management support to 2-3 high-priority time-bound projects at a time (e.g., the DEI org-wide learning journey, psychological safety plan). Example responsibilities include:
- Create project plans / timelines with breakdown of critical steps and milestones
- Ensures that the project team meets key deadlines through regular, consistent project updates and assists with planning, defining, and implementing scope, schedule, and sequencing of potential projects
- Special Projects/Learning and Development (10%): Identify opportunities for professional development to build skills, grow, and contribute to the org-wide culture.
- Works with manager to develop a growth and learning plan based on desired hard and soft skills
- Identifies key opportunities to support the overall culture of the organization (i.e ERG leadership, working groups, serve as DEI liaison with cross-functional team, etc.)
- Experience in complex, cross-functional project management (e.g., developing project plans, defining timelines and deliverables, and tracking implementation/progress) and operations (e.g., establishing processes to improve team operations and effectiveness) and ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously and determine priorities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – the ability to navigate strong and productive relationships quickly with a diverse group of people
- Strong attention to detail -- thoroughness in accomplishing a task, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work consistently.
- Proactive problem solving skills -- you take initiative to complete a task and are able to identify/surface blockers, and options to address them. You think creatively and are able to break down large tasks into subtasks.
- Growth mindset and intellectual curiosity -- you can identify areas of growth and are proactive in your own learning and seek out feedback from the team.
- Desire and ability to thrive in a diverse work environment and a commitment to support an inclusive culture.