Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We're looking for a Product Designer passionate about education and visual polish to join our product design team. We believe students and teachers deserve delightful experiences and your eye for details that matter will help us achieve this. You will work in a cross-functional team with subject-matter experts, product management and engineering to design and build learning experiences.
As part of our education team, you will support multiple product efforts, including the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with Summit Public Schools.
Our education design team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform you will help design will be used by teachers and students within Summit’s network. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country and ninety-eight percent of graduates are accepted into at least one four-year college.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team to clearly understand human needs, generate meaningful product ideas and measure the impact of those ideas
- Take expansive approaches to ideation but pragmatic and iterative approaches to wireframing and prototyping
- Care deeply about the details and having a high level of fit and finish
- Participate in design critique by sharing and receiving constructive feedback
- Use storytelling to communicate new, ambitious design concepts to leadership and partners
- Collaborate with engineers to see your interface designs through implementation and shipping
- 5-7 years of product design, interaction design and visual design experience
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end product design with a focus on Interaction and Visual Design
- A portfolio of delightful interfaces and interactions
- Experience being collaborative and inclusive
- Defined project framing with input from PM, other designers, or manager
- Advocated effectively for product quality
- Listened, asked the right questions, and effectively conveyed your ideas to cross-functional teams
- Worked on projects that have shipped
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people preferred (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities, etc.)