Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We’re looking for a senior leader for CZI’s Legal and Grants Management Team (“Team LeGiT”) to drive, build, and champion CZI’s privacy, product and intellectual product strategy, work and team. This work is critical in the (1) solutions that we build, operate, and make available to educators and scientific researchers, (2) internal business systems and vendors we use to operate our organization, and (3) technology and privacy counseling, including for external partners.
This position will report to CZI’s General Counsel, be a member of LeGiT’s leadership team, and is responsible for overseeing and leading this work. Key responsibilities include (1) co-leading (with our Head of Infrastructure and Information Security) our cross-functional privacy and security programs that help ensure that our data practices remain worthy of our partners’ trust and are compliant across relevant legal regimes (ex: GDPR, HIPAA, FERPA), (2) ensuring that CZI’s products and services are compliant with applicable laws and CZI’s commitments (e.g. consumer protection), (3) user facing terms and policies (and support contracting efforts with vendors and others on issues related to products and/or IP and privacy issues), (4) leading intellectual property programs in areas like Trademark and Open Source, and (5) contributing to Team LeGiT and CZI as a senior leader.
Through this work, you will help accelerate CZI’s mission of creating a future for everyone by ensuring that CZI operates lawfully. You will be a true partner internally (to senior executives, engineers, product managers, grantmakers and more) and externally (to partners, civil society, and policymakers). You will be a valued leader and people manager supporting your sub-team as well as Team LeGiT broadly-- through your thought leadership, the values you exemplify in how you do your work, and by scaling -- always building for the long term by designing and iterating durable processes that are usable, predictable, and auditable.
You will bring to life Team LeGiT’s Mission Statement of Driving Results to accelerate the achievement of CZI’s mission by Ensuring Lawful Operation, while Embodying CZI’s Values. You will contribute significantly to building the culture of our team and the entire organization. If you are a mission-oriented builder and leader who enjoys learning, strategic and creative thinking, collaborating across multiple functions, and executing, then this job is for you. We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Be a Player Coach --Lead a team of in-house attorneys and legal professionals, leveraging a broad bench of outside counsel, while also owning and executing your own work portfolio.
- Provide business and legal advice on technology development and deployment on a wide-range of issues related to technology (e.g. privacy, security, open source, consumer protection, vendor data protection issues, state and federal education regulations)
- Collaborate within Team LeGiT and cross-functionally across CZI to ensure that CZI’s needs are met and to improve privacy and security review processes. You will partner to drive efficient and scalable solutions that are user friendly, transparent, and accountable across our solutions and operations, including to manage vendor privacy and security diligence issues and contract review for vendor contracts
- Interface regularly with external partners, including driving partnership and technology collaboration agreements and other major transactions
- Help design, improve, and implement efficient and scalable privacy and security diligence and capacity building for grantees and other close partners
- Use your initiative by identifying and owning projects, including those that arise that don’t easily fit in a bucket
- Champion collaboration and efficiency across the team, and add rigor to all aspects of internal processes to help Team LeGiT and CZI build for the long term
- Embrace citizenship by contributing to Team LeGiT and CZI
- 12+ years of law firm and in-house experience, with a minimum of 3 years of people leadership experience building and running high performing functions and teams
- Deep experience with product and privacy counseling, intellectual property, and demonstrated comfort as a generalist through broad-ranging legal domains
- Strong drafting skills, including technology transactions experience (e.g. licensing, SaaS, and partnership agreements)
- Strong desire for and track record of scaling - building systems and processes that are user friendly, efficient, predictable, repeatable, and auditable -
- High bar for your craft, strong desire to collaborate, and commitment to develop, implement and execute the best solutions for CZI
- Unique combination of being strategic and detailed oriented, combined with strong execution skills
- Strong initiative and passion for CZI’s work
- Passion for CZI’s work, sense of humor and you embody CZI’s values, including without limitation, a learning and growth mindset coupled with humility
- JD and an active California Bar membership or California Registered In House Counsel (required)