Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The goal of the education initiative is to provide every student, and every teacher, the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative supports and develops personalized learning experiences that are passionate about and led by the learner - meeting them where they are cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally. We're helping to bring a new personalized learning platform to the globe's generation of students and help advance the potential of humanity.
Data is critical in achieving this goal. We are looking for a senior data engineer to help ingest, coordinate and use data to help students in our program continue to grow and set them up for a lifetime of success.
- Deeply understand the product and resolve how data engineering can support its success
- Help craft, refactor, and upgrade the data architecture to best support the team
- Discover, vet, and integrate the right set of data tools
- Maintain the standard methodologies for data privacy and security while providing access to data to empower high-quality analytics and data science.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, data scientists, and PMs to ensure that data captured on and off platform is consistent and accurate. This includes external third party data.
- Build scalable systems for data use by all members of the initiative
- Determine the data infrastructure needs for sharing data with external partners
- Help mentor and grow other Data Engineers
- 8+ years in software engineering with at least 5+ years of demonstrated experience in Data Engineering
- Excellent SQL skills
- Solid experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in a database or data warehouse
- A desire to find ways of improving the use of data and drive projects to realize those improvements.
- Expertise with scripting languages
- Strong Experience with ETL tooling
- Extensive Experience with large scale cloud data warehouses
- Passionate about education and bringing technology to improving education
- A history of strong collaboration with data and analytic specialists and non-experts to understand and fill data needs.
- A track record of driving major projects to completion and impact
- A strong desire to continue to grow technical and non-technical skills.
- Experience in mentoring and evangelizing best engineering and data practices across organizations