Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
In Education, we aim to ensure all young people have the knowledge, skills, habits, and agency they need to thrive in an ever changing world. Through grantmaking, impact investments and research and engineering we are partnering with students, educators, and parents to build and support tools and programs that make it easier to apply the science behind how people learn and develop to education. Examples of our work include our partnership with Summit Learning and our development of Along. Summit Learning is a differentiated approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership Gradient Learning. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. The Along product helps teachers connect with their students, and teach important life skills, all while staying delightful and engaging. You will work in a cross-functional team with subject-matter experts, product managers, researchers, educators, and engineers across these two products.
We’re looking for a Sr. Comms Designer who is passionate about the intersection of education, technology, and product marketing to join our central creative team. This designer will be responsible for designing and bringing to life our product brand across our product portfolio. You will collaborate and partner deeply with Product, Marketing, and Communications to understand our market goals and deliver brand experiences, support the development of the Summit Learning Program through our design system, and Summit’s product marketing through our marketing website and creative assets.
Our education design team is responsible for delivering quality software that improves how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform, marketing websites, and collateral you will help design will be used by teachers and students within the Summit Learning Platform and within Along. If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Design brand and creative collateral across mediums - web, mobile, video, email, social, print, illustration, etc.
- Shape how the visual identity of the Summit Learning Platform and Along gets expressed in new mediums.
- Be an advocate for brand consistency, ensuring that materials for SLP and Along support and strengthen each product’s brand and personality.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, product design, marketing/communication, engineering, data science, and Gradient Learning.
- Engage in a creative feedback process with other designers on the team through regular critiques.
- Play a key role in growing our design team through craft leadership.
- 6+ years of experience developing well-crafted, inspiring brand and creative visual designs across various mediums.
- 3+ years of managing and leading design projects.
- A portfolio of your design work that showcases exceptional brand and communications design, as well as what you value as a designer.
- Proficient across the creative spectrum and process, with an understanding of skill and execution requirements across visual design, art direction, and brand positioning.
- Agency experience or experience partnering with agencies.
- Experience working with and managing vendors to execute on branded assets.
- Experience working on cross functional teams, product marketing, product design, content strategists, and/or engineering.
- Strong communication and storytelling skills.
- An ability to clearly, optimally, and consistently articulate rationale for design decisions.
- Passionate about impacting the future of education.
- Curious, collaborative and inclusive spirit, you like to bring others into your design process.