Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
This role leads overall communications and brand strategy for a high-profile philanthropic organization -- including leading media relations, external and internal communications, brand storytelling and creative campaigns, and all digital campaigns and presence (web, social media, email etc).
- Provide operational management to 25-person Communications and Brand team in highly matrixed organization
- Oversee all external communications strategy for the organization to build understanding and credibility for the organization’s work and partners -- including management of a strong, senior communications/media relations team. This includes setting overall communications strategy across the team and across CZI’s portfolio of work -- including partnering with functional leaders across the organization. This role also includes leading crisis communications response and tactics for the organization and its grantees.
- Lead internal communications for the organization to help build team culture and inform and engage our employees -- in partnership with the Leadership Team and People team.
- Oversee brand strategy for the organization, including all design, creative and digital needs for the organization as well as driving strategic message and public opinion campaigns and partnerships that highlight the organization, it’s focus areas and its grantees.
- Work regularly with organization founders and Leaders on communications needs and provide counsel on positioning and reputational issues.
- +18 years communications expertise, including significant “on the record” spokesperson media relations experience, with strong, demonstrated experience in crisis communications work for high-profile organizations or leaders (private or public sector)
- Proven track record managing large teams (at least 15+ people) in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated experience in leading brand and creative campaigns and teams, including having led and built public opinion campaigns -- with preference for those who have led such work in both the private sector and in the public sector (philanthropy, advocacy, or large-scale government public opinion campaigns, for example)
- Experience in providing communications counsel to high-profile public figures (corporate, political/government, or nonprofit).
- Experience in leading communications in-house for complex, high-profile organizations. Preference for candidates with a mix of private sector/tech industry experience and public sector experience (nonprofits, politics, government)
- Experience in being a strong Communications leader on a senior leadership team to advise our founders and a team of issue leaders across a diverse portfolio of grantmaking -- from Science, to Education, to tech leaders