Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is seeking to recruit a Senior Associate of Investment Operations and a critical member of the investments team, based in Redwood City, CA. CZI’s investment function is a de novo operation, and the Senior Associate of Investment Operations will have a significant role in building, developing, and maintaining an outstanding operations function to support the execution of a multi-asset class investment portfolio. The investment function pursues a "manager-of-managers" approach, working with funds across a wide spectrum of investment styles and strategies. The ideal candidate will have a long-term strategic approach, while also possessing a proactive, entrepreneurial attitude, and be willing to roll-up their sleeves to get the investment function off the ground. This position will report to the Senior Manager of Investment Operations. A commitment and passion for philanthropy and CZI’s mission will also be a key consideration.
- Be responsible for daily, weekly, and monthly investment processes.
- Partner closely with the custodian on daily investment activities.
- Complete moderately complex investment operations projects and analysis.
- Monitor and review investment book of record entries.
- Establish and monitor key controls to ensure accurate and timely reporting of portfolio information to the investment team on a daily basis.
- Have responsibility for the daily reconciliation of custodian accounts, verification of trades settlement and cash balances. Assist operations team to resolve open issues.
- Play a critical role in financial reporting, annual audit oversight and alternative assets accounting and valuations.
- Identify and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Play a critical role in ensuring the investment process runs smoothly as it relates to documentation, subscription documents, opening new accounts, KYC/AML, tracking and monitoring approvals, ensuring timely execution of investment agreements.
- Provide direction to junior staff.
- 4+ years of progressive experience in a relevant field
- Bachelor’s degree required and CPA strongly preferred
- Strong level understanding of investment and portfolio accounting
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Exposure to traditional and alternative asset classes preferred
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong personal characteristics of initiative, integrity and creativity
- Extraordinary customer service and partnering skills
- Strong leadership skills with high emotional intelligence
- Team Orientation and strong interest in CZI’s mission