Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
Our Education Data Science team is responsible for measuring and evaluating product and program changes. For example, how product impacts student performance on cognitive skills, how schools onboard onto the program or how professional development impacts on onboarding, etc. This team defines measurements, product metrics, provides product insights through analysis, recommends what to improve and build next, as well as collaborates and communicates with the cross-functional and leadership teams.
As S Data Scientist with Product focus, you will build metrics, visualizations, dashboards, provide data insight, product expertise, build data products (eg. ML models) and bring a strategic perspective to partners throughout the organization. You will combine your deep knowledge of the product and user behavior with quantitative analysis to tell meaningful stories that inform team decisions. You'll collaborate closely with your colleagues in Engineering, Product Management, User experience researcher & Product design. You’ll understand the ins and outs of the product and database and you’ll be looked to as an expert across the team.
- Conduct data analysis to make product evaluations and recommendations
- Deliver effective presentations of findings and recommendations to stakeholders, creating visual displays of quantitative information
- Develop data visualizations, automate reports, iteratively build and prototype reusable dashboards to provide insights at scale
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to formulate and complete full cycle analysis that includes data gathering, analysis, ongoing scaled deliverables and presentations
- Contribute to and codify a culture of data-driven decision-making across the team
- Build data products by using predictive modeling to improve user experiences
- 5+ years of experience with Product Analytics and experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models
- Quantitative and data related work experience in product within the technology, finance, consulting or a related industry.
- Experience in metrics development, data exploration, solving problems using data, building product intuition, data visualization, and providing practical business insight using data.
- Experience with technologies such as SQL, R or Python.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience with varied technical skills.
- Prior exposure to working cross-functionally with teams of product managers, engineers, designers, researchers, data scientists, and analysts.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics, and experience building automated output as a data product with R or Python