Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The goal of the CZI Investment Team is to build a world-class investment portfolio that will deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to fund CZI’s ongoing operations over the long-term. The investment program pursues a “manager of managers” approach, scouring the globe to find extraordinary investment managers that invest across a wide spectrum of styles and asset classes. These managers will pursue a fundamental investing approach to identify compelling micro-level opportunities. Recognizing that stellar investment managers are hard to find, CZI seeks to partner with its managers for the long-term.
CZI embraces a one team, one portfolio approach in the pursuit of creating an exceptional investment portfolio and developing exceptional talent over the long-term. Everyone on the team has a voice regardless of the type of investment under consideration and individuals collaborate across asset classes despite each focusing on one or two asset classes most of the time. Other key values include intellectual honesty and an ownership mentality, as the team believes that these qualities lead to better investment decisions in the context of open and reasoned discussions. As the team is still in early days, all team members must also be prepared to wear multiple hats and lead or assist on efforts to build out the platform outside of day-to-day investing. Investing in the team via recruiting and training our younger team members is another key value and will be a shared responsibility among the full team.
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is seeking to recruit a talented investor to join the investment team in building out CZI’s investment platform. The ideal candidate has 5 to 8 years of direct investing and/or allocating experience, preferably with experience in real estate or private equity. This person is exceptionally talented, open-minded, and passionate about investing and excited at the prospect of helping to build a world class investment program to further CZI’s philanthropic mission.
- Participate in the investment due diligence and monitoring of existing and prospective managers across Private Equity and Real Estate. You will work closely with senior team members on the overall strategy across the private asset classes
- Prepare written investment analyses on managers, synthesizing information from meetings, reference checks and other research to identify investment merits and considerations
- Develop conviction on attractive investment managers for CZI’s portfolio and effectively communicate these views with well-reasoned supporting evidence and insights. Lead internal discussions on Private Equity and Real Estate managers and play an active role in internal discussions related to all other investment decisions
- Mentor and train junior investment team members, including working side by side with analysts in the diligence of new investment managers
- Prepare materials for internal team meetings and quarterly board meetings
- Leverage and continue to develop your professional network to enable effective reference checking and sourcing of new investment managers
- Under traditional circumstances, willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (up to 33% of your time) for investment-related research is expected to enable regular face to face meetings with our investment managers and to develop deep relationships with the principles at these firms
- Gain exposure to CZI’s philanthropic programs
- Undergraduate degree and 5-8 years of work experience. Experience at a leading endowment or foundation in real estate or private equity manager allocating and CFA or progress towards a CFA designation preferred
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for understanding investment strategies and forming relationships with managers
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset and excitement about building a new team and portfolio; willingness to wear multiple hats and lead or assist on efforts to build out the platform outside of day-to-day investing
- Willingness to modify scope of research over time as our team and portfolio grows and evolves
- Passion for CZI’s mission