Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As a member of the growing Legal and Grants team, you will help support CZI’s affiliated private foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Foundation (“CZIF”). By collaborating with teams across CZI, you will ensure that CZIF’s activities and operations are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Your day-to-day involvement with the management of CZIF’s legal compliance will be critical to furthering CZIF’s strategic mission and operational goals. In collaboration with others, you will help drive the development of systems, policies, and processes for a fast-growing organization. If you are a proactive, problem solver who enjoys distilling information to build a scalable compliance framework, you will fit right in!
- Partner with the Foundation Counsel to help lead all aspects of compliance for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Foundation.
- Be a key source of knowledge on private foundation compliance to clients and team members and partner closely with program colleagues working to achieve the Foundation’s strategic mission.
- Develop a strong understanding of the IRS private foundation regulations, and help construct and deliver trainings to key partners at all levels across the organization on a variety of issues associated with private foundations and tax-exempt organizations.
- Establish and implement an effective approach to ongoing inquiries about tax exempt-specific legal processes.
- Engage in other compliance projects related to the development and operations of the Foundation.
- Help scale the team and organization on diverse matters that contribute to broad team and entity goals.
- Experience handling compliance issues (experience in the tech or tax-exempt sectors a plus, but not required).
- Ability to analyze an outstanding deal of information, refine it into impactful compliance requirements, and drive the creation and implementation of resources to meet those requirements.
- Comprehension of key legal matters and how to manage compliance in accordance with the sections of the Internal Revenue Code and accompanying regulations specific to private foundations.
- Demonstrated project management ability and the desire to work on projects across diverse client groups with outstanding professional experiences.
- Desire to be part of a growing team that relies on proactive and regular communications to share takeaways and form a positive culture.
- A learning and growth demeanor coupled with humility and mission-oriented sensibilities!