Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We’re looking for a UX content strategist/UX writer to elevate the product experience through crafting useful, clear, and meaningful text that helps users complete their tasks at hand. The primary audience you’ll plan and create content for are Summit Learning teachers, and you’ll be responsible for deeply understanding this audience in order to develop content guidelines, conventions, and approaches. You’ll also occasionally support content development for our student and school leader users on an as-needed basis.
You will shape all of the in-product content that helps teachers implement the Summit Learning model and technology in their teaching practices. You’ll partner closely with design, user research, product management, and educational specialists to ensure high-quality, clear, useful content that supports both pedagogical and user goals. A passion for seamless experiences and a desire to contribute to product strategy through content delivery is a must. Bonus if you have experience creating content for educator audiences.
As part of our Education Design Team, the content you plan and develop will be critical to the success of our learning platform developed in conjunction with Summit Public Schools. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country. Our Education Design Team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
If you are mission-driven and committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
The position is full-time and based in our Redwood City headquarters.
- Plan, write, and edit copy—including full interaction flows, navigation elements, notifications, error messages, etc.—that contributes to seamless user experiences and product goals (while ensuring consistency with our brand and existing content standards)
- Partner with educational specialists to shape how pedagogical content is surfaced through our product to guide teacher actions
- Evaluate current product flows and identify content improvements
- Develop and evangelize content standards and processes
- Work as part of multi-disciplinary team of designers, product managers, researchers, engineers and educational experts
- Help mentor junior-level writers to apply UX writing and content strategy best practices
- Evaluate, test and improve existing content to continually raise quality bar
- Play a supporting role to marketing, brand, and comms teams as needed.
- 2+ years of experience in a product content strategist or UX writing role
- 3+ years experience crafting user-facing content for digital products (ex: copywriting, technical writing, support content writing, etc.).
- A portfolio of built or published product copy
- Prior experience developing style guides, content standards, or pattern libraries
- Ability to expertly craft and edit clear, concise, jargon-free content
- Expertly leverages content strategy to optimize information hierarchy and enhance usability
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and evangelize content opportunities
- Understanding of UX best practices
- Experience working within cross-functional product teams and articulating contents decisions across a range of stakeholders
- Highly collaborative with strong communication and diplomacy skills
- Experience developing web content for diverse audiences
- Ability to thrive with minimal direction in a fast-moving, startup environment
- Passionate about promoting equal opportunity in education
- EdTech background and/or experience creating educator-facing content preferred