Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
The Engineering Manager for Security and Privacy will lead a mission critical team for the education initiative. Both education products, the Summit Learning Platform and newly launched video journal, Along, rely on accurate student data in order to personalize the learning experience. This team is responsible for earning and maintaining that trust through security and privacy features and infrastructure.
Individualized learning is rooted in personalized data and access to that data relies on a system of permissions and features. This manager will lead a team of six engineers focused on authenticating specific administrative permissions to different users, building infrastructure to control access to student data, developing new features to guarantee the security and privacy of the products, and responding to incidents as they arise. They will partner closely with product development, legal, communications, and design to gather requirements and promote and implement best practices while developing and nurturing their team through a changing educational environment.
- Manage and lead a team of six engineers focused on privacy and security of multiple products
- Help to establish engineering culture and best practices
- Recruit, hire, and develop engineers on the team
- Ensure the team’s ability to collect and synthesize project requirements, create effective roadmaps, and ship high-quality products and infrastructure
- Managed an engineering team responsible for the privacy and security of a modern web application
- Ability to hold your own in technical conversations, contribute to software design decisions, and support engineers in growing both their skills and their careers
- Worked with an interdisciplinary team to define privacy and security standards and deliver software solutions