Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there.
We know that when students feel supported, cared for, and understood, they thrive. Now more than ever, teachers and students need efficient and supportive tools to ensure education is anchored in relationships and well-being. Along is a new tool designed to achieve exactly that – a free, interactive video journal designed to foster meaningful connections between teachers and students.
Created in response to COVID-19 school disruptions, Along provides a meaningful space where teachers and students can share one-on-one reflections via recorded video or text conversations and dive into important topics — such as managing stress, staying motivated, and navigating the new challenges these times present. The Along team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to build scalable and engaging experiences.
- Drive user impact and delight by working across the web stack, with an emphasis on server-side business logic and integrations
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop and quickly iterate on products and features
- Support team-wide initiatives such as performance, reliability, and developer efficiency
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers
- Strong experience shipping complex cloud-based applications end-to-end with minimal guidance (5+ years)
- Proficiency in server-side web frameworks (Rails a plus)
- Ability and desire to mentor others in achieving engineering excellence and to be a catalyst on the team
- Eagerness to learn and grow as a software engineer