Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
The Education Frontend Infrastructure team supports the development and operations of the Summit Learning Platform and our newest product, Along. By building shared tools and infrastructure, we ensure these products are reliable, preformant, and secure. In this role, you will partner closely with members of product engineering teams to cultivate shared best practices that allow the entire team to rapidly improve Education’s products.
Frontend Infra Team Culture
- Autonomy and collaboration - Engineers contribute to our roadmap and we work as a team to accomplish projects.
- Sustainable development - We believe that functionally complete does not mean it’s ready for production. We care about automated tests, accessibility, responsiveness, monitoring, taking vacation, etc.
- Growth - Technical and professional growth are important for every engineer.
- Build tools and processes to increase automated testing adoption in the org (react-testing-library, puppeteer)
- Evangelize best practices in frontend development in partnership with product engineering teams
- Design, build, and maintain frontend infrastructure that improve performance and reliability through tooling, build systems, and shared components
- Contribute to the development of a new design system to increase productivity of product teams
- Initiate and complete migrations (library upgrades, Flow -> Typescript, etc)
- Build systems and tools for product teams to ensure our applications are accessible
- Shown ability to work collaboratively with teams and ship high-quality code
- Strong ownership over projects and can work with ambiguity
- Eagerness to learn and grow as a software engineer and contribute back by mentoring others
You’ve ideally worked with (any):
- Jest, React Testing Library, Puppeteer (or some other UI testing framework)
- Design Systems
- Web performance
- Analytics Tracking (Segment, Snowflake)