Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The CZI Finance team is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of information across all CZI initiatives and entities. We’re building a diverse, and talented accounting team and strive for excellence in everything we do. Payroll and accounting are complex and highly impactful at CZI. Our goal is to maximize CZI’s systems like Workday, ADP Workforce Now and Front to help address the payroll. In order to accomplish this goal, we focus on providing precise and reliable payments, taxation and data validation to our CZI employees, business partners and external parties alike.
A successful candidate will have a wide range of experience with working in a variety of industries and have both a deep payroll perspective and broad accounting knowledge. They will need to have worked in multi-state jurisdictions and be experienced in payroll tax regulations. They are extremely detail oriented and continually mitigate risks by creating regular audits to stop gaps in errors. We value truth-seeking, analytical rigor, and collaboration, and all Payroll team members have a voice in building processes.
We are looking for a Senior Payroll Accountant to support the life-cycle of the payroll process at CZI. From collaborating with our operational partners to tightening efficiencies and building scalable processes, ensuring our employees are explicitly paid on time and acutely maintaining data integrity, and assisting with GL accounting and month end close analysis, the ideal candidate will be comfortable with navigating within a young and unique organization.
- Assist with processing multiple tasks in payroll, including, but not limited to adding new employees, updating earnings and benefit deductions, managing direct deposit and tax withholding information, coordinating special/manual payments, processing terminations via ADP Databridge.
- Review and process time information recorded in ADP Time and Attendance for non-exempt employees, looking for abnormalities and possible data errors via workbooks.
- Calculate bonus payments for hourly employees.
- Upload and reconcile files to retirement plan provider including 401k contributions, loan payments and adjustments.
- Process and timely respond to all employment verifications, disability worksheets, child/spousal support orders, wage garnishments and other court orders.
- Maintain the payroll side of leave administration
- Compile all necessary Payroll related funding information to Senior Payroll Analyst for Payroll reporting package.
- Coordinate with Senior Payroll Analyst, People Services, Benefits and Finance teams to keep ADP and Workday systems up to date.
- Maintain electronic filing system for payroll records.
- Serve as the primary backup for the Senior Payroll Analyst.
- Assist with registering for withholding in various states when necessary.
- Run/create various ad hoc reports as required from ADP and Workday into Excel with pivots.
- Assist in preparing monthly payroll reconciliations with the Reporting team
- Associates degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience, required
- 5-8 years payroll related experience in medium to large sized companies
- Strong analytical and accounting skills
- Strong Excel experience
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal relations, written and oral communications skills
- Close attention to detail and accuracy required
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Experience with Workday Payroll required