Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI’s Investment function is a de novo operation, pursuing a “manager-of-managers” Investment approach, working with funds across a wide spectrum of Investment styles and strategies. The Director of Investment Technology will be responsible for setting the strategic vision for information technology for the Investments team and overseeing the development, deployment, and support of best in class Investment technology. This position will report to the Head of Investment Operations and the Director of Infrastructure, and will collaborate closely with the Investment team to lead the selection and implementation of technology Investments that are aligned with the Investment team’s strategy and needs.
The ideal candidate will have a long-term strategic approach, while also possessing a proactive, entrepreneurial attitude, and be willing to roll-up their sleeves to get the Investment team’s technology infrastructure built-out. A commitment and passion for CZI and its mission will also be a key consideration.
- Lead, manage, and enable the building of a scalable strategy and Investment program’s technology stack
- Identify, design, develop, integrate and manage Investment infrastructure and technology-based third-party solutions, applications and proprietary tools to support the customized needs of the Investment business and Investment Operations teams
- Capture and understand the Investment team’s business requirements, analyze workflows/processes and evaluate third-party technology-based solutions to ensure the match between systems functionalities and the scaling business’ needs is met.
- Develop testing environments for the Investment team to evaluate solutions effectively and efficiently before deploying, while staying informed of changes in the Investment business and the technology trends within the industry
- Develop, aggregate and automate the Investment team reports from available data hosted within third party systems, focusing on the implementation of best practices for the Investment program’s cybersecurity, disaster recovery and business continuity plan
- 15+ years of progressive experience implementing and operationally supporting financial services applications
- Experience designing, developing, managing and ensuring data quality/integrity in a complex environment with deep knowledge in the administration, maintenance, and support of operating systems in Investment solutions
- Knowledge of Investment/financial markets and relevant technology tools, including report design and development experience (Investment Book of Record / Performance Management System, CRM Systems, Custodian Data Systems, and ingestion of External Data Sources)
- Demonstrated ability to successfully take on roles that are outside of the job descriptions when needed, demonstrated willingness to get their hands dirty and do whatever it takes to achieve the team's end goals with outstanding customer service and partnership skills
- Experience collaborating successfully with a diverse stakeholder team across various geographies, building working relationships with core and cross-functional teams, in particular communicating technical concepts between audiences of varying backgrounds with a proven ability to distill and simplify complex requests into clear and action/deadline oriented development projects to execute against a specific goal
- Strong leadership skills with high emotional intelligence and a proven organized, methodical and detail-oriented holistic approach for data analysis and problem-solving, leveraging organizational awareness to empower others to accomplish project objectives
- Motivations align with our values of learning fast and building for the long term. Strong personal characteristics of initiative, integrity and creativity with a passion for building and designing Investment technology solutions