Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
Our Education Data Science team is responsible for measuring and evaluating product and program changes, and the Data Engineering team is responsible for providing an efficient & scalable data processing & pipeline. For example, how development of a product impacts student performance on cognitive skills, how schools onboard onto the program or how professional development impacts onboarding & implementation of the program, etc. The data team defines measurements, product metrics, provides product insights through analysis, recommends what to improve and build next, as well as collaborates and communicates with the cross-functional and leadership teams.
As Senior Technical Program Manager, you will support the Education Initiative's data science & data engineering teams, as well as closely partnering with the infrastructure team at CZI. You will also support data partnership with internal and external partners in Education. You will build strong partnerships with the cross-functional teams to identify problem statements, create roadmaps, scope and prioritize projects aligned to Education’s priorities, define milestones and drive them to completion by aligning with project leads and leadership.
- Coordinate data across all product and school onboarding teams ensuring data delivery to internal and external customers helping in iterative improvements of the product & school programs.
- Drive program management at all phases of ‘Data as a product’ starting from strategy, ideation, implementation and launch for data to internal & external customers
- Partner to build roadmaps and long term strategy of the technical teams you are working with
- Develop effective metrics for measuring both short term and long term success
- Coordinate data engineering & infrastructure support with data scientists for data products reaching to internal and external customers
- Collaborate with data engineering & data infrastructure teams to prioritize delivery of efficient and scalable data warehouses & data pipelines optimizing data science workflows
- Proactively identify dependencies, manage risks, give solutions and effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders and leadership
- 5+ years of technical program management experience leading data-driven projects from definition to execution
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple teams, demonstrated critical thinking, excellent analytical and communication skills
- Driven technical project management across Data Science and Engineering
- Experience in analytics/insights, dashboarding/reporting, knowledge of database query languages like SQL, and understanding of ETL and data warehousing
- Practical knowledge in driving project management for multiple connected roadmaps across cross-functional orgs