Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease to improving education to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to build a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education, and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We seek to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with domain specialists to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first and second-generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We believe in a future for everyone. As we engage directly in our communities, we must work from a shared place of trust. We know that our communities care deeply about how information is collected, used, and shared, and so do we. So when CZI builds products we consider their privacy and security and at every step of the process. Our product security team is the group primarily responsible for ensuring that we’re building products that are secure and in partnership with our Product Privacy Team, have appropriate privacy protections in place.
- Manage and lead our growing product security team to ensure that all of CZI's technology teams have flexible and robust security programs that continuously evaluate, track, and manage risks.
- In partnership with product and engineering leaders, ensure that product teams are appropriately prioritizing security and privacy work.
- Own and improve key processes such as product security and privacy incident response.
- Develop and roll out security policies to drive consistency across CZI’s products where appropriate.
- Serve as an internal champion and consultant for security and privacy.
- Drive security and privacy initiatives that cut across CZI and it's partner organizations.
- Identify common security issues that can be addressed by shared infrastructure components and partner with others within the Infrastructure organization to build and ship them.
- Participate in on-call rotations for security incident response.
- 8+ years of product security or related experience including at least 3 years of people management experience.
- Validated experience working on security for SaaS/Web products.
- Organized, methodical, and detail-oriented, with outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to lead via influence, in multi-functional environments.
- Excellent communication skills, in particular communicating technical concepts between audiences of varying backgrounds.
- Demonstrated willingness to roll up your sleeves and go above and beyond to achieve the team's end goals.