Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is taking a new, cutting-edge approach to philanthropy, funding ambitious projects that will have a substantial impact on the future of education, technology and science, and social justice. As the Benefits Manager, you will support the Total Rewards team and organization to execute our strategy around attracting, retaining and supporting the people who are helping to create that future with a world-class total rewards program. Our vision for the world starts with the culture we’re building. Our organization should be diverse, equitable, and inclusive for everyone — and it should reflect the communities we serve. We believe we can set a new precedent for the worlds of tech and philanthropy, and we want you to help lead the charge.
The ideal candidate is someone with 5+ years of experience as a Benefits Manager supporting diverse, multi-talented teams at world-class organizations, providing timely and thorough support to employees as it relates to all benefits programs. They should have deep experience in benefits administration, leaves of absence management, as well as immigration and work visa processes. HRIS experience (ADP, Workday) is essential to success in the role. Lastly, the candidate should be comfortable with a fast-paced ever-changing environment, bring good energy, be hungry to learn, and be proactive about figuring out how to make things happen. They should be passionate about executing on big ideas and getting the best out of the people around them.
- Manage health and welfare plans to include medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, FSA, HSA, commuter benefits, 401(k), employee assistance programs, and other company benefit plans
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors
- Participate in benefit surveys and stay abreast of best practices and recommend current and relevant updates in line with total rewards philosophy and objectives
- Assist with the design, implementation, and administration of new benefit programs and policies
- Manage annual Open Enrollment period and processes, system administration, work with brokers and carriers, and prepare employee communication materials
- Coordinate Benefits & Wellness Weeks to educate employees on all benefits offerings
- Lead benefits orientation during bi-weekly onboarding sessions for new hires
- Develop and implement meaningful and engaging employee communications and educational programs on benefits and immigration, inclusive of creating and managing a total rewards page on company intranet
- Manage Worker’s Compensation and COBRA programs
- Manage leaves of absence administration in collaboration with payroll team and third-party administrators
- Manage the immigration/work visa program in collaboration with external immigration counsel, hiring managers, and recruitment team
- Manage the relocation program, including all aspects of the relocation to ensure smooth relocation process for employee
- Work with legal and tax departments to ensure accurate reporting and compliance with benefits management
- Maintain a working knowledge of international, federal, and state laws and regulations influencing benefits including ERISA, HIPAA, ADA, etc.
- Keep abreast of new legislation/regulations that impact benefit programs
- PHR, SHRM-CP or other related certification desirable
- Subject matter expertise and a minimum of 5 years of related experience in benefits within the technology or philanthropic sector
- Functional knowledge of Human Resources business processes (compensation, benefits, payroll, etc)
- Knowledge of current State and Federal benefit rules and regulations
- Knowledge of group life and health; knowledge of federal regulations such as Section 125, HIPAA, ERISA, and COBRA
- Collaborative business style to work effectively across the organization, with external trusted partners and employees
- Superior written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions
- Superior analytical skills and understanding of human resource and financial issues and best practices
- Ability to handle high level of confidentiality regarding employee information
- Excellent planning, time management, decision-making, presentation, organization and interpersonal skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel /Google Sheet skills required. Solid Google Suite skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, analyze, listen, clarify, solve problems and work independently critical
- Workday and ADP experience
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously critical to the success of this role