Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country.
In this role, you will lead and manage one of the core product engineering teams within the Learning Platform; Notebooks. Notebooks is how students and teachers collaborate on written assignments and was built in order to enable richer feedback and deeper insights than past integrations with Google Docs or Office365. It is a complicated product area with engineers ranging in expertise from backend product infrastructure to modern frontend interactions enabling real time collaboration.
- Partner closely with PM/Design/UXR/Data and our external partners to prioritize, scope, and execute the product changes necessary to support students and teachers in the daily classroom experiences that will lead to quality implementation and student outcomes.
- Set up appropriate levels of team process to enable individual growth and autonomy while upleveling the team’s ability to execute strongly.
- Manage a team of about ten engineers working across Notebooks Product and Notebooks Infrastructure, providing coaching and feedback across a range of seniority levels, and growing tech leads.
- Work with other engineering managers to drive team culture, recruiting, engineering best practices, and cross-team resourcing and priorities.
- Experience leading and managing a product engineering team working on modern web applications within either the consumer or enterprise space.
- Ability to hold your own in technical conversations, contribute to software design decisions, and support engineers in growing both their skills and their careers.
- Demonstrated ability working within cross-functional teams and aligning engineering roadmaps in close partnership with Product Management, Design and User Research, Data Science, and customer teams.
- Experience building with Ruby on Rails is a plus.