Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be a key member of CZI’s growing Legal team focused on contracts management and operations. You will partner with every initiative and team across CZI and help us administer and execute contracts critical to the success of our program objectives and operational goals. In addition to working with educators, scientists, and change-makers to help CZI achieve its ambitious mission, you will also partner with infrastructure engineering to design and manage our org-wide contracts management systems, policies, and processes. If you are a mission-oriented, systems-driven thinker who enjoys creating efficiencies, building scalable processes, and collaborating across multiple functions, you will fit right in.
- As part of the CZI Contracts Team, help support, maintain, and improve contracts policies and processes, with the goals of increasing efficiency, managing legal and business risk, and scaling for the long-term and across diverse teams.
- Provide critical knowledge and expertise about our Salesforce-based contracts management system to internal clients and external legal resources.
- Support Contracts Manager in managing contracts for signature.
- Create, update, and maintain internal CZI contract resources (CZI currently uses Wikis to communicate internal processes and policies).
- Create contract data reports (using Salesforce-based system) for tracking and reporting on contract status, priority level, and stagnant requests. You will run reports on regular cadences and as requested by clients.
- Create monthly and quarterly contract data reports for CZI contracts team to track trends and address external resource needs.
- Interface regularly with our internal legal partners on contracts-related questions and contract systems support and tasks, using discretion and priority setting skills to escalate issues, as necessary.
- Manage new employee permissions in CZI legal systems tied to attendance at required contracts training, schedule internal contracts trainings, and track attendance.
- Manage communication and logistics for internal contract office hours, including proactively identifying opportunities for improving client services through this forum.
- Support Contract Manager with the review and negotiations of commercial contracts, as needed.
- Proactively identify solutions to recurring requests and inefficient processes to drive scale across the organization.
- Act as the client service representative for an internal program team and be a liaison between internal team and legal team on contracts-related requests.
- Act as a back-up for Contracts Manager and other client roles, as needed.
- Contribute generally to the CZI Legal and Grants team (Team LeGiT) operations and culture, including taking on special projects or backfilling other functions, as necessary.
- 3+ years of relevant experience; you ideally will have prior contracts operations and system experience at a rapidly scaling employer.
- Experience with contracts management tools (e.g., Salesforce, DocuSign) and highly comfortable and adaptive to an array of technology tools (e.g. Slack, Microsoft Word, Google Suite products, Adobe Pro).
- Excellent written and oral communications skills (e.g., to communicate clearly about contracts with legal and non-legal partners).
- Excellent organizational skills and a passion for developing systems and processes to drive efficiencies.
- Ability to communicate with and support diverse clients, including engineers, operations teams, and grantmakers.
- Comfort with issues surrounding trends in data privacy and information security so that you can engage from a systems and process perspective on related contracting issues.
- The ability to work within a highly matrixed and growing organization in a rapidly changing and continuously evolving environment.
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission-oriented sensibilities.
- Experience in and/or a passion for education, science, or social justice spaces.