Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
We're looking for a Senior Systems Designer passionate about education and helping build scalable processes, to join our small but growing design systems team. The design systems team is responsible for creating, maintaining and evolving our design system as well as supporting and improving our internal style guide and design principles. You will be directly involved in the creation of our design system, while helping to evolve our front-end design principles and guidelines and the impact it will have both internally and across our platform.
Our platform is expanding quickly and your experience establishing design and engineering processes and systems will help our team scale to support their needs. You will work both directly with product designers, front-end developers, and our design systems team to help us maintain a best-in-class design system practice. This means being both a strong individual contributor working cross-functionally with design and engineering as well as being a systems-level thinker with a passion and interest in design systems.
As part of our education team, you will support multiple product efforts, including the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with TLP Education.
Our education design team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
The platform you will help design and develop will be used by teachers and students within Summit Program schools. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country.
If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
- Have experience as a systems thinker; you translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant front-end solutions for complex problems. You’re not just thinking about the task at hand but about how your design choices scale and fit within larger established systems and patterns.
- Bring designs to life through prototyping; you can easily translate designers' needs and output them into functional prototypes. You are inspired by the mechanics of motion, animation, interactions and demonstrate how to bring these ideas to life.
- Work passionately to design beautiful experiences that impact people’s lives. You make it your business to know as much as you can about the people you are designing for and make design decisions based on their needs.
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team to clearly understand human needs, generate meaningful product ideas, measure the impact of those ideas and translate into front-end design solutions
- Work within the design system team to identify design solutions and help produce front-end design principles, guidelines, and standards that support the team at scale
- Work collaboratively to drive system adoption across design, product, and engineering teams
- Ensure that our design system follows the theory of Atomic Design and WCAG accessibility guidelines
- Produce functional prototypes for user flows and user testing which will be used to help solve problems and drive the vision of our platform
- Take expansive approaches to ideation but pragmatic and iterative approaches to prototyping (animation a plus!)
- Care deeply about the details and having a high level of fit and finish
- 5+ years of experience with user interface (UI) design
- Proficient in Figma/Sketch
- Experienced in the process of building and shipping software
- Understanding of design systems and scalable design
- Understanding of accessibility best practices
- Experience with responsive design
- Collaborative and inclusive spirit
- Listens, asks the right questions and effectively conveys ideas to cross-functional teams
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people preferred (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities, etc.)
- Experience in building front-end Web user experiences, preferably using frameworks like React, Vue, or Angular (Nice to have, not required)
- Experience with component-based architecture and development (Nice to have, not required)
- Able to dive into the source code of front-end libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary (Nice to have, not required)