Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
As a key component of the CZI Brand & Communications team, the Social Media team is responsible for telling the story of CZI, our partners and our grantees on social media, while raising awareness for our issue areas and building online communities to support them. The Social Media team partners closely with Brand and Comms team members to support announcements, develop creative campaigns, and develop social media plans to support hosted events at our HQ or designing for large venues such as SXSW. The Social Media team supports the work of all three of CZI’s main initiatives (Education, Science, and Justice & Opportunity), as well as the work of our Central Brand, Community team, Recruiting, the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion team, Internal Communications, and much more.
This is an opportunity for a social media pro to produce shareable digital content, compelling social campaigns, and engaging creative to help build CZI’s social media presence and community. You will help raise awareness about CZI’s issue areas, lift up the work that CZI employees are doing and tell the stories of our partners and grantees.
The ideal candidate is a strong digital storyteller and creative leader who can work across the organization to build unique content and campaigns that drive engagement to our social channels. At the direction of the Director of Social Media, the role also supports social community management across a set of diverse issue areas at a dynamic philanthropic organization. You will have led in-house social channels for a major brand or cause, have a track record of building creative, breakthrough social media campaigns across multiple platforms, and don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to do the basic tasks related to managing social media accounts. You stay on top of social media trends, have experience building and managing communities, and can juggle multiple campaigns at once.
- Partner with our Brand Creative team to develop creative digital campaigns for CZI’s owned channels, including social media, web and email.
- Develop social media content across a set of diverse issue areas to grow and drive engagement of CZI channels and to lift up the work of our partners. This includes all aspects of content development — from clever, engaging copy for posts; to brainstorming hashtags; to building relationships with influencers; to working with creative teams (internal and external) on multimedia for day-to-day content and key campaigns.
- Support online community management for CZI — including moderating issues, implementing engagement strategies, and proactively building stronger communities for CZI’s issue areas.
- Support the creation of a social editorial and content calendars across a set of diverse issue areas to ensure a regular cadence of social media content on CZI channels.
- Write and edit social media posts, blog posts, emails, creative briefs, and pitch in as needed for any other writing needs.
- Monitor social media trends and proactively create content to quickly take advantage of opportunities to expand our social media reach and increase engagement.
- Use analytics to make data-based decisions on future content, and develop reports to measure the impact of different social media campaigns.
- Project manage multimedia content creation with the creative team (including our videographer, designers, and brand managers) for short- and long-term social campaigns.
- Liaise with groups across the organization to develop more effective daily content and campaigns, and support their efforts to build online communities for CZI’s issue areas.
- Support our initiatives and grantees/partners in developing social guides, social toolkits and content creation to support issue-based advocacy work.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience managing and building large-scale social channels in-house for a brand or movement.
- Developed creative, break-through multi-channel social campaigns in-house and are an expert storyteller.
- Strong writing and editing skills with experience writing content for a number of mediums, including social media posts, video scripts, graphics, blog posts and social toolkits.
- Experience project managing content development across teams, with external partners and agencies. Experience writing creative briefs is a plus!
- Worked with social media influencers, advocates or brand ambassadors as part of a creative social media campaign.
- Experience leading community management/engagement across social channels for a major brand or cause — including experience in social moderation, rapid response, and crisis management.
- An understanding of the current social media landscape and best practices for each channel.
- Experience using social analytics and monitoring platforms.
- Ability to independently execute social campaigns from start to finish, and collaborate with the brand and creative teams to develop 360 campaigns across all channels.
- Experience juggling and prioritizing multiple projects of varying scope and timelines.
- Excellent collaboration skills and are able to work across teams to ideate, develop and implement social campaigns.
- A passion for social media and community building.