Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team is a high energy team providing finance partnership to our business leaders. As the FP&A Partner supporting the Education Initiative, you will work closely with the Education leadership team, program teams, and technology teams, providing financial analysis and process support. Your work in this role will directly support the mission of the Education Initiative - to help every child enter adulthood with the knowledge, skills, habits, and agency they need to realize their full potential.
- Lead the Education team’s Annual planning and reforecasting activities; drive budget vs. actual performance reporting and insights; and support the close cycle and finance administration of the Initiative.
- Grow to become a finance and business expert in the Education Initiatives areas of focus, and deploy that expertise as the business and strategic partner to the Education Ops Leader and Initiative Leader.
- Bring additional financial expertise and horsepower to the program teams to support grantee due diligence and evaluation, ongoing grantee evaluations, and program level financial support.
- In particular, deploy your financial expertise in support of the software technologies and platforms that the Education Initiative utilizes in service of its mission.
- In some cases, engage with Grantees directly to provide periodic financial analysis and process support.
- Partner with program and technology teams to develop, modify, and deliver business cases for grants, projects, convenings, or other endeavors that further the mission of the Education Initiative.
- Directly develop or support the creation and monitoring of metrics and outcomes that will be used to help measure and evolve the programs and activities of the Education Initiative.
- Be a significant partner and contributor to the scale activities of the larger Finance Team at CZI to support the Company’s growth and sophistication.
- Partner broadly with all other centralized functions (Ops, HR, Recruiting, Legal, Communications) to streamline and clarify administrative activities for your Education team members.
- 7-12 years of progressive experience in an FP&A role within a tech company or growth-stage start-up
- In particular, experience working with pre-IPO SaaS companies; and / or with education technology companies would be a valued experience set
- Brings a strong team mindset - with a huge focus on collaboration and partnering; and a high level of accountability for results.
- Extremely detail oriented and enjoys working in spreadsheets, models, and analysis.
- Superb written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Ability to convert data into meaningful insights that resonate with executive-level stakeholders
- Exceptional financial, analytical, modeling and problem-solving skills
- Strong results orientation and bias to action
- Desire to build for scale using technology solutions
- Willingness to ask the tough questions and challenge the status quo