Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to craft, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy specialists better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The Infrastructure organization works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the shared infrastructure engineering team have an impact on all of CZI's initiatives by enabling the technology solutions used by other engineering teams at CZI to scale. In this role, you will build security solutions to help cultivate a culture of shared standard methodologies and knowledge around security across the initiatives.
- Take a leadership role in driving internal security and privacy initiatives across multiple engineering teams
- Design and build critical pieces of security-focused infrastructure and systems
- Work across engineering teams to help architect and implement solutions that are inherently secure
- Evaluate and recommend new and emerging security products and technologies
- Find opportunities for shared security infrastructure and collaborate with other teams as vital to integrate and adopt security standard methodologies across CZI
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical subject area or equivalent experience
- Relevant coding experience
- Experience securing applications deployed within Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with a common language such as C++, Go, Java, Python, or PHP
- Consistent track record working on mitigating security risks
- Proven experience building security infrastructure tools and products
- Build and champion security engineering best practices