Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. Examples of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and supports the work of educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs; Valor Collegiate Academies in their work promoting young people's social emotional development; and Neuroteach Global, a professional development tool training teachers on how to apply the latest scientific discovery on how students learn into their classroom practice.
We’re looking for a Communications Manager to help tell the story of how CZI, its partners, and grantees are working toward ensuring every child receives a holistic and personalized education. Reporting to the Communications Director for Education, the candidate will have strong experience in leveraging earned and owned media opportunities for impact and reach, managing rapid response communications and a track record of working within and across organizations to execute public relations campaigns. Experience in product and trust communications and with working in matrixed organizations is a plus.
- Work directly with the education communications team to support the execution of their communications vision for the education initiative
- Lead proactive media outreach to promote our work and that of our key partners, including working directly with members of the media to pitch and manage stories and respond to media inquiries
- Develop strategic communications plans, messaging documents, briefing memos statements and other communications materials
- Support senior Education Initiative leaders in all of their public communications, including interviews, speeches, op-eds and columns
- Collaborate with grantees and portfolio companies to manage announcements of major grants, investments, and partnerships
- Identify creative opportunities to further our communications goals in education
- Partner with the Brand and Social teams to ensure seamless multi-platform communication of Education priorities and campaigns
- Work closely with subject matter experts to evaluate complex communications challenges and in order to develop successful public campaigns.
- 6+ years of communications experience in the technology, consumer, or philanthropic fields
- Strong relationships with tech, venture, consumer and education media
- Experience organizing editorial board meetings and high-profile press briefings and events
- Experience working cross-functionally (communications, program, legal, product, etc.) to achieve goals
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and frequently changing work environment
- Rapid response and crisis communications experience
- +3 years experience as on-the-record spokesperson