Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI’s criminal justice program is looking for a dynamic associate to drive high-impact projects and operational initiatives to completion. This hire will support programs related to prosecutorial reform and the role that technology can play in facilitating change in the criminal justice system. This is a doer role and is expected to drive results in the field as well as for our team. This is an opportunity to play a key role in a dynamic, cross-functional team that is leveraging grantmaking, advocacy, and technology development to hasten and deepen criminal justice reform efforts across the country.
We are looking for someone who will be energized by working on an initiative with a highly cross-functional team, including engineers, data scientists, criminal justice policy experts, advocacy strategists, grant officers, and researchers.
- Under general supervision of the manager of our prosecution reform portfolio, drive critical priorities by leading and supporting projects of all sizes from concept to implementation.
- Keep cross-functional partners and program leadership enrolled and informed throughout project development and execution.
- Partner with research, program development, and/or finance to execute projects; and develop externally-facing partnerships with criminal justice reform, philanthropic, and technology organizations
- Support strategic planning and program evaluation efforts (both programmatic and financial, as needed)
- Synthesize input and expertise from program staff, cross-functional experts, and external advisors into our strategic plan
- Work with data and apply basic quantitative/statistical techniques to collect, transform, analyze, and visualize data.
- Develop data-driven cases to support and/or interrogate key investments and program activities
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience executing complex initiatives or projects in a cross-functional organization
- Deep passion for criminal justice reform with a demonstrated commitment to serving and working within communities most impacted by criminal justice system
- Ability to work with people and partners with varied backgrounds, perspectives, political affiliations, and viewpoints
- Experience with data analysis and statistical methods
- Comfort working in an ambiguous, matrixed environment, where decisions happen fast and we learn by doing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills with the ability to multitask across projects